what happens to the paperwork?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > what happens to the paperwork?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

Default what happens to the paperwork?

when you go in to a store to buy a firearm, they make you fill out the yellow paper that says you're not an alcoholic, wife beating, communist, felon, who wants to buy said weapon for yourself.

what happens to those papers? everyone talks about having worries of being tracked and having the government knowing what weapons you've bought.

but...since the dealer puts on the sheet the make, model and serial number of the weapon you're purchasing...what happens to those papers when the deal is over?

couldn't the government ALREADY be tracking who owns what guns and know where to go if they decide to implement some sort of gun-recall and super strict gun-control law?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

The paper is a form 4473. The dealer takes the form, and puts it in his filing cabinet. After 20 years, he can throw them away. If the dealer goes out of business, his records are sent to the ATF for storage.

The info on that form- make, model, serial number, etc etc does not go to the ATF unless the dealer closes. If the ATF is conducting a gun trace as part of a criminal investigation, the maker tells ATF what dealer the gun was shipped to, dealer tells ATF who gun was sold to. Local very busy gun shop where I hang out averages one trace call a year from ATF. They have been in business about 45 years, sell about 50 guns a week.

IMHO, you assume too much competence on the part of a government agency.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Can I play devils advocate for a minute?

So the same agency that forces you to fill out the paper is too stupid to know what to do with it? Maybe we should ditch them? Just sayin...

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #4

I have noticed that every time they make the "$5 phone call" the agent on the other end always seems to ask what type of gun is being sold. So it makes sense to me that the agent could simple be imputing the weapon sold to the individual buying and there is the "list".

Just sayin!

RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #5

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post

So the same agency that forces you to fill out the paper is too stupid to know what to do with it? Maybe we should ditch them? Just sayin...
Now, if they did that where would the drug dealers and cartels get their guns from?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2986 Times on 1556 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean? ATF is forbiddeen by Federal law from computerizing the data contained in the 4473. Even after the dealer goes out of business and sends his records to the ATF, they keep the paper files for trace purposes. I have had more than one gun traced through ATF. IT takes about 3-4 weeks to get the reply. They can usually tell me who the initial buyer was. In the case of burglaries/thefts, I have had ATF find serial numbers for guns purchased by my victims so I can enter them as stolen.

There was a period where ATF computerized the old 4473 data. When Congress found out, they ordered ATF to cease, desist and destroy what they had compiled. I believe this was a part of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

They know exactly what to do with it...what Congress told them to do with it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

BTW, when the dealer makes that phone call, it is not to the ATF. And the type firearm given is long gun or other. Different age requirements, y'know.

Here in VA, it is to the VA State Police. We had our own Insta-Check system before the Feds. Other places, it goes to the Fed DOJ records section.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I'm not sure what you mean? ATF is forbiddeen by Federal law from computerizing the data contained in the 4473. Even after the dealer goes out of business and sends his records to the ATF, they keep the paper files for trace purposes. I have had more than one gun traced through ATF. IT takes about 3-4 weeks to get the reply. They can usually tell me who the initial buyer was. In the case of burglaries/thefts, I have had ATF find serial numbers for guns purchased by my victims so I can enter them as stolen.

There was a period where ATF computerized the old 4473 data. When Congress found out, they ordered ATF to cease, desist and destroy what they had compiled. I believe this was a part of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

They know exactly what to do with it...what Congress told them to do with it.

I'm torn by this statement. I can see the benefit of having this information stored yet I don't like the idea of someone storing this information on me.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #9

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
I'm torn by this statement. I can see the benefit of having this information stored yet I don't like the idea of someone storing this information on me.
that's kind of what made me want to do this post.

on some of the car forums I'm on, guys will say things like "yea, I got guns, but I ain't gonna tell ya what I got on the public internet...big brother might be watching and then he'll know where to come when it's time to confiscate weapons"

while I think something like that would never happen, it certainly is possible as time marches on and they come up with more and more laws and controls that step in on the 2nd amendment.

"toss a frog in a pot of boiling water and he jumps out. put a frog in a cold pot and slowly bring the temp up...you get to eat frog legs"

all the talk you hear of folks being paranoid about the government tracking who owns what guns...yet...seems to me, they already are. maybe they're not computerizing the data into a database, but they're already collecting it.

having that kind of data is good because when a gun is found at a crime scene, they can trace down the owners till the find the guy who sold it to the criminal, and who the criminal was. --if the prior owners can cooperate and remember WHO they sold it to when they sold it. but, on the other hand, I don't want them to be able to look up what I own, and where I live....

Old 11-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #10

I don't think any of us are delighted with it, but that's the way it's been since the Gun Control Act of 1968.