What do I need to do to buy this 11.5" upper from a friend? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

What do I need to do to buy this 11.5" upper from a friend?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1452 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Originally Posted by wmeyer116 View Post
Hmm, what if they live in the same household as me? haha I'm guessing not. But yeah I have a few friends who have no AR's or AR parts that i could let keep it for a while.

And also, do I just fill out a form and mail it? Or do I need to go to a FFL to do the paperwork there?

I honestly don't know but even if you could do it yourself I would go to an FFL who can offer experience and guidance on navigating the confusing waters of the BATFE and their processes.
"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson
"Do stupid things, win stupid prizes"
Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
Liked 2241 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1421

wmeyer116. Do you already own a lower? If not, not a problem. If you do, you have an issue. If you don't own a lower just don't buy one until you have the paperwork done. If you do own one...well you need to do the paperwork first.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #13

I'll go ahead and get the paperwork started then. I do own a lower, and a 16.5 upper. I'll go to my local FFL, they're great guys, and I'll have them help me with the paper work. Thanks again for helping out a SBR newb!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

You don't HAVE to go through an FFL but it might be better to have one check over the paperwork and not just any FFL but an NFA dealer. I bought a Class 3 firearm from an individual some years ago and I did the paperwork, took the pictures and went and got the Sheriff's aproval and fingerprints and sent it off and had no problems. I got the paperwork back and picked up the gun. BTW the paperworks is going to take about 7 months to get back.
NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #15

Ill just go ahead through my dealer. It will be easier that way anyway. And as to the 7 months, I kinda expected that. Obummer and Firearmageddon we have to thank I'm guessing. Thanks again
Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
Liked 6999 Times on 3714 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Unless your local ffl is not an sot they also cant hold it for you if they have rifle recievers and no pistol lower to put it on... same rules apply.

Friend of mine bought a pistol lower for his shorty 300blk while he is doing the paperwork for an sbr.

You only need a sot ffl (class3 in common terms) if your transfering an nfa item across state lines. You can do a person to person transfer sans ffl by filling out submitting forms waiting for stamps. Once the stamp shows up its a private sale like any other private sale.

Now, in your case the upper itself falls under constructive intent. It doesnt matter where you store it. If you have access to it on your own and it isnt logged into an ffl bound book you have access to it. That means if you store it in antarctica under a igloo its still constructive intent.

Couple things you can do with an item that cannot go into a bound book, either buy a pistol lower to remove constructive intent or dont buy the upper. The pistol lower does not have to be fully assembled. Or best case find a sot dealer in your area willing to help you with storage while your sbring it.

Keep copies of the papers you submit to the batfe along with the registered mail reciepts. Just in case

Its a bad idea to buy nfa parts without having the nfa item ready to go.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 07-09-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #17

What do you guys think the actual value of a colt 11.5 inch a2 upper half is? Its in excellent shape.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
Liked 3714 Times on 2119 Posts
Likes Given: 1666

Approx $600 to $700 is all I would pay.
(It ain't new.)
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)