weekly transfers + online sales the future?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > weekly transfers + online sales the future?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.
Default weekly transfers + online sales the future?

I have a question or two.
How many transfers do you do in the span of 7 days? I hear that 3 is normal in areas near larger cities.

And, are you seeing a greater amount of sales via online auctions, as opposed to new guns being purchased from fresh inventory? Are these ebay type gun sites the future of used gun sales?

And a 3rd while I'm on it, how does one do a background check on a person in texas for the sale of a gun, or is it even required in the state of texas?

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

1) I really can't answer that since I'm just getting started and it is minimal for me until the word gets out.

2) I think a lot of people are trending towards places like gun broker but don't factor in the fees and shipping costs associated so I think you will see a steady stream of people buying online simply because its convenient to justify saying I got it for X amount of dollars less. Even if it is only a couple of bucks. But there can be some great deals there as well.

3) I would look at your state laws. Usually a CCW permit suffices but with the absence of those a NICS check must be done, but I don't know if Texas has a purchase permit for pistols like we do in Iowa. If there is no permit to purchase a pistol then the FFL can do a NICS check as required for the transfer.

I would get a hard copy of this as well: http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5-2011/2009-30th-edition.pdf

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 06-21-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8845 Times on 3829 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

Matty- am not dealer- my FFL is collector- but when you are receiving a gun as the transfer agent, you would treat it the same as if you were the dealer selling the gun to the recipient. Whatever the background check requirements (and exceptions) that you may have.

As far as the number of transfers- will vary wildly dealer to dealer. If you would like to have MORE transfers, go to auctionarms and gunbroker, register there, and you can register as a transfer FFL- which means when someone in your area is looking for a dealer, they can search the database, your name pops up. IMHO, good opportunity to sell them other things.

Most of my purchases from the net sellers are for collectible arms that show up infrequently at my LGS's- addicted to older Mossberg and Remington 22s- but I WILL bargain hunt the web for really good deals on newer guns. But adding shipping AND a FFL transfer fee could make that NOT such a bargain- Fees here typically run $50, some higher, some lower.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #4

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Matty- am not dealer- my FFL is collector- but when you are receiving a gun as the transfer agent, you would treat it the same as if you were the dealer selling the gun to the recipient. Whatever the background check requirements (and exceptions) that you may have.

As far as the number of transfers- will vary wildly dealer to dealer. If you would like to have MORE transfers, go to auctionarms and gunbroker, register there, and you can register as a transfer FFL- which means when someone in your area is looking for a dealer, they can search the database, your name pops up. IMHO, good opportunity to sell them other things.

Most of my purchases from the net sellers are for collectible arms that show up infrequently at my LGS's- addicted to older Mossberg and Remington 22s- but I WILL bargain hunt the web for really good deals on newer guns. But adding shipping AND a FFL transfer fee could make that NOT such a bargain- Fees here typically run $50, some higher, some lower.

Well there in lies the beauty of my little arrangement. I am will be the only FFL within about 20 miles, save for a pawn shop that recently got it's records bawled over by the BATF.
yay, naturalized monopoly!
I figure 10 of the federal green paper slips is a fair trade for a transfer. 50 is just milking a dead horse.

ps- the proper spelling is 'hee - *grits residue cough up* - yuh'.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybock View Post
Well there in lies the beauty of my little arrangement. I am will be the only FFL within about 20 miles, save for a pawn shop that recently got it's records bawled over by the BATF.
yay, naturalized monopoly!
I figure 10 of the federal green paper slips is a fair trade for a transfer. 50 is just milking a dead horse.

ps- the proper spelling is 'hee - *grits residue cough up* - yuh'.
Lucky you. I charge $10 for vets/first responders etc and $15 for everyone else.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

Lucky you. I charge $10 for vets/first responders etc and $15 for everyone else.
I knew there was a reason I liked you

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
I knew there was a reason I liked you
Hell we just met....lol Buy me dinner first before you go throwing that out there

Member:

Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post

But how many might you do in the average week, or month?

ps- I have my BATF meeting on thursday! Wish me luck!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybock View Post
But how many might you do in the average week, or month?

ps- I have my BATF meeting on thursday! Wish me luck!
I've only been up and running for 3 weeks now and just registered with gunbroker and the other sites late last week. On the interview the IOI's are usually cool and its more informative then anything. My IOI didn't want to see my safe or shop or anything. Just went over paperwork, asked questions and it took about 1 1/2 and 10 days later my FFL was in hand. Good luck though

Member:

Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have been up and running for about a year and a half now and we average about 12 a month between sales and transfers. business has been good. Get free listings on every auction and sales sight you can. Having a web site helps even if you do not spend the money for a web store. a simple sight from go daddy will cost you about $50 a year and a few hours of headache to get set up.