Wanting to open a gun shop
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Wanting to open a gun shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Default Wanting to open a gun shop

Anyone on here own their own sporting good and firearms store? If so what all went into getting it started and what advice do you have?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Get into car repair business, it's cheaper and easier.
Become a mortician, there is no shortage of customers.

Not only do you have to know firearms, but other sports as well.
A few years ago, AKs and SKSs were hot. Today, the ARs. Tomorrow, who knows what the public wants.
Look at stores like Academy. They have a diverse inventory. To run such a store without the resources that Academy has is asking for ruin.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

silverado113 Likes This 
Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #3

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The money is in the accessories, not the guns.

If you want to know the secret of how to make a small fortune, you start with a large fortune and open a gun shop. Then you'll have a small fortune.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus

If you want to know the secret of how to make a small fortune, you start with a large fortune and open a gun shop. Then you'll have a small fortune.
I agree and all the regulations

Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus

Does anyone have a opinion on the Wilson combat sr ar in 300 blackout with there suppressor?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullseyePrecision View Post
Anyone on here own their own sporting good and firearms store? If so what all went into getting it started and what advice do you have?
an FFL, lots of money or a huge line of credit, a sound business proposal, a huge knowledge of firearms and sporting goods, or people who do, lots of insurance, a location, and most of all a very thick skin! have fun.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As the former owner of Wild Gesse Gun Shop in El Cajon Ca.(san diego area) id say hold off...our commie is busy now but soon will be trying everyway he can to put gun shops out of bussiness..Black guns where 75% of my sales.....not to discourage you ill state a few things to be concerned about.......ATF gestoppo.....obomba....horrable economy only going to get worse....most either have what guns they need or to poor to buy them...a huge break in target for crooks...like cars money not in new cars its the used ones or parts/repair........id carry a gun brand and id buy every item one would want to go with it and related items...i fig each black gun sale was $1,500-3k over all in time plus...vs funky sporting that might buy a bx or two ofammo each year my people buy a case or two...accessories can bring in 35-60% mark up vs laying out huge $ for a gun..id carry real govnt gear or clothing to the good paladan press books ets..plus.........you will devote un real hrs to make it go....gotta fig your compation out and most of all know your products or your toast..i was a combat vet and had a great background and they knew it...getting there respect is it..my 4 strong points was...1 id not bs you...2/id treat you well what ever you bought..3/id keep up with the state of the art..4 give you the best price i could......it took me 3 years working 7 days a week at 16 plus hrs a day before store paid overhead..profit in my pocket came later.......after the fed gun law and calif one and resession i lasted 9 years and lost over $400,000.-....homeless 4x ....im on my feet not thanks to a 100% T+P Disability....ok pick anything you know well rescreach it very well..with obomba laws its going to kill most bussiness...its a huge gamble .i wish you well....

Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #8

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgeese View Post
As the former owner of Wild Gesse Gun Shop in El Cajon Ca.(san diego area) id say hold off...our commie is busy now but soon will be trying everyway he can to put gun shops out of bussiness..Black guns where 75% of my sales.....not to discourage you ill state a few things to be concerned about.......ATF gestoppo.....obomba....horrable economy only going to get worse....most either have what guns they need or to poor to buy them...a huge break in target for crooks...like cars money not in new cars its the used ones or parts/repair........id carry a gun brand and id buy every item one would want to go with it and related items...i fig each black gun sale was $1,500-3k over all in time plus...vs funky sporting that might buy a bx or two ofammo each year my people buy a case or two...accessories can bring in 35-60% mark up vs laying out huge $ for a gun..id carry real govnt gear or clothing to the good paladan press books ets..plus.........you will devote un real hrs to make it go....gotta fig your compation out and most of all know your products or your toast..i was a combat vet and had a great background and they knew it...getting there respect is it..my 4 strong points was...1 id not bs you...2/id treat you well what ever you bought..3/id keep up with the state of the art..4 give you the best price i could......it took me 3 years working 7 days a week at 16 plus hrs a day before store paid overhead..profit in my pocket came later.......after the fed gun law and calif one and resession i lasted 9 years and lost over $400,000.-....homeless 4x ....im on my feet not thanks to a 100% T+P Disability....ok pick anything you know well rescreach it very well..with obomba laws its going to kill most bussiness...its a huge gamble .i wish you well....
Obummer will ruin it for everyone in small business. Taxes .... Taxes .... Taxes ...

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

As a gun store owner I make approximately -$15 an hour right now

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 656

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgeese View Post
My brother and I had a sporting goods store in Red Bluff. The ATF was never a problem. It was the State of Calif Dept of Justice that was.
Opening a new store would depend on what state you reside in?