Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > very few lawyers know jack about gun laws.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default very few lawyers know jack about gun laws.

and many are not even licensed to practice in Federal court! It's normally a Fed case if it's a Class III item, the state is happy to pass such stuff on to the Feds, and BATFE has nothing much to do to justify their salaries (for a fact, Jack!) So you are probably wasting your time/money (and perhaps risking your freedom) to ask "gun questions" of a local attorney! If he is honest, he'll tell you to seek someone else as an advisor, but many will just take your money!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #2

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Good point.
If you ahve a lawyer you ahve used for awhile he will take this an opportunity to school himself abit.
He'll charge u for same of his self training ( research) but not all of it if you have a standing relationship.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 738 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Funny you should bring this up today

Last night at the end of a long session with my attorney, we started talking about firearms. He was for awhile my small town's prosecutor. He put on a training class for the LEO's and shared his presentation. WRONG WRONG WRONG! So, together we went to the state law and I pointed out where he missed a couple of very important words. He asked, how the heck did you get to understand the law in that level of detail. It became an obsession of mine to learn that one group of laws!

In MI, CPL instructors teach crap, LEO's learn crap, and too many attorney's advise crap. MI firearm laws are SCREWY.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Ignorance of the law.
We are prosecuted if we don't know the law and break one.
They try to enforce the laws that they do not have a good understanding of.

Knowledge is power.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

alsaqr Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1937 Times on 1038 Posts
Likes Given: 2885

If a person gets charged with a federal gun law violation they are in serious trouble.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 624 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

My rule for people seeking gun info/help is to disregard what your cop or lawyer buddy says because lawyers don't know gun laws, cops have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to guns, ask someone at a gun shop

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA
My rule for people seeking gun info/help is to disregard what your cop or lawyer buddy says because lawyers don't know gun laws, cops have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to guns, ask someone at a gun shop
My non lawyer advice...you have the right to remain silent. Use it until your lawyer that specializes in firearms is present. Join a local 2A organization as most provide this service to members. If all else fails call Evan Nappen.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

kfox75 Likes This 
Closed Thread