Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Type 07 license question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Type 07 license question

I am considering getting my Type 07 license and applying for a Class 2 SOT to be able to build and sell suppressors. I have built a few using the form 1 so the building isn't an issue. My question is really more of a 07 license question, what is considered manufacturing of a firearm? Would buying separate components of an AR and assembling them considered manufacturing needing the License, for example buying a barrel, upper, lower, trigger group, ect from different vendors, assembling all the components and then selling it considered manufacturing? Or do I need to actually mill the components myself? Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #2

Liked 7547 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

You need to go to the ATF webiste, and read their FAQs. As I read them, do it once, no. Do it several times, yes. for example, buy a shipment of surplus Mausers. Take off wooden stocks, install new synthetics, drill and tap for scopes, mount scopes, offer for sale- manufacturer.

HOWEVER, customer brings you surplus Mauser,wants stock replaced, drilled and tapped, scope mounted- NOT a manufacturer- that is a gunsmith.

See why I said read the FAQs?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #3

I have checked out the FAQ's and from what I understand, I can put together a Rifle using commercially available parts for my self, but if I want to then sell it, I need the 07 license. Am I understanding this correctly? Or am I just confused?