Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (
-   -   Type 07 license question (

spence7607 08-07-2011 05:56 PM

Type 07 license question
I am considering getting my Type 07 license and applying for a Class 2 SOT to be able to build and sell suppressors. I have built a few using the form 1 so the building isn't an issue. My question is really more of a 07 license question, what is considered manufacturing of a firearm? Would buying separate components of an AR and assembling them considered manufacturing needing the License, for example buying a barrel, upper, lower, trigger group, ect from different vendors, assembling all the components and then selling it considered manufacturing? Or do I need to actually mill the components myself? Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

c3shooter 08-07-2011 10:03 PM

You need to go to the ATF webiste, and read their FAQs. As I read them, do it once, no. Do it several times, yes. for example, buy a shipment of surplus Mausers. Take off wooden stocks, install new synthetics, drill and tap for scopes, mount scopes, offer for sale- manufacturer.

HOWEVER, customer brings you surplus Mauser,wants stock replaced, drilled and tapped, scope mounted- NOT a manufacturer- that is a gunsmith.

See why I said read the FAQs?

spence7607 08-08-2011 12:58 AM

I have checked out the FAQ's and from what I understand, I can put together a Rifle using commercially available parts for my self, but if I want to then sell it, I need the 07 license. Am I understanding this correctly? Or am I just confused?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.