Turning a pistol into a SBR - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Turning a pistol into a SBR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Oh well, so much for wishful thinking!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 3542 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
UPDATE: I was online looking at my checking account last night to see if some bills I'd paid earlier had gone through and noticed the check I sent to the BATF for my class III stamp had cleared earlier in the day. My understanding is if you have a problem and the ATF denies your application, your check is returned. It seems rather quick (less than a month since I sent it in) compared to some report of 3-4 months for approval, but with the budget crisis maybe the feds needed the money more than me! I hope this is a sign that my form has passed muster and my stamp will be in the mail soon.
nope. the fun news is they keep your money even if your denied which is why consulting an nfa attourney is a good idea. so far the only issues ive had are really new requirments for wis. machine guns. the shop i was dealing with said they were prepaired but werent.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your money will be refunded if you are denied. But it will be a while yet before you will get your stamped form or money back.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #34

I learn something new everyday! I'd read at the ATF site your money was returned if your application was denied. Like I said, this is my first direct experience in dealing with the BATF and I was just hoping that I would be the one applicant in a thousand that was reviewed sooner rather than later.

Last edited by rachilders; 08-01-2011 at 02:51 AM.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #35

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
FYI, this is what I plan to do. My PLR started out from the factory as photo one, is now like photo two and if all goes as planned will look like photo's three & four when completed.
Not to split hairs but isn't photo 2 already a SBR or an AOW? I thought any foregrip on a pistol made it a SBR...or does that only apply to a vertical foregrip?
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #36

A lot of pistols have stocks under the barrels, Rugers CHALLENGER 10/22 pistol variant and many TC's to name two. Adding the rear folding stock is what will make my PLR-16 a SBR, while adding a vertical grip would have classified it as AOW.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #37

UPDATE: It's now been a little over two months since I sent it my paperwork to the BATF. Still no reply but I like to believe in this case that no news is good news. With three months until Christmas, hopefully I'll have a little present from the feds in the mail for the holidays this year!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #38

LATEST UPDATE: It's now passed the four month mark since I sent in my application and still no info on my stamp. So much for "prompt service". Still, I also haven't received a rejection letter yet so I suppose no news is still good news.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #39

UPDATE on the status of my class III stamp: I received my application back from the ATF yesterday, which was part good news and part bad. The bad part was it was returned because of an error I made on the application back in early July when I submitted the form. OTOH, the good news is it wasn't actually rejected. The letter that accompanied the application said I needed to correct the error, initial the change and return the corrected form (along with the letter from the ATF) within 30 days so my paperwork could be completed. FYI, the "error" involved a question I originally had because of a conflict between the Form 1 instructions and the info put out on the ATF web site (it involved my DOB and where to put it on the form). I called the regional ATF office and was told to follow the instructions on the site. The letter I received with my returned forms said it isn't suppose to be there and I need to remove it from the application. Oh well. so much for going to the source for the correct answers to my questions!

Anyway, while it's been over a six month process, at least I know the status of my application for the stamp and as soon as I can get the corrected form in the mail and back to the ATF, things should go smoothly. While I didn't get the stamp in time for Christmas - that would have been a nice way to finish out an otherwise dismal year - I now know it's in the works and except for the error on the application that needs my attention, everything seems to be on track. Oh well, after this much time what's a few more weeks (months?).

Last edited by rachilders; 12-29-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #40

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders
FYI, this is what I plan to do. My PLR started out from the factory as photo one, is now like photo two and if all goes as planned will look like photo's three & four when completed.
Do you realize your last pic is a kel tec su-16d?