Turning a pistol into a SBR - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Turning a pistol into a SBR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

so im wondering if you sbr a pistol lower with a collapsable stock can you CCW/OC it??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-13-2011, 04:47 AM   #22

I don't see why you couldn't, but why pistol with a stock is small
Enough to CCW or open carry comfortably? Not to mention the 'intent' that comes Into play should you have to use the firearm In self defense.

I could see a DA going after you if you have time to pull your weapon, deploy a stock and fire. One could argue that is an aggressive action and no longer defensive. Pretty much why I don't CCW my PS90 SBR & silencer!

Old 07-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Im just curious. Very shortbarrel ar15 are little better than 22mag. My wis carry will be colt 1911 series 70 or new agent.

The thing that stops me from sbr is having to engrave the reciever with my name and such. Other than that wouldnt mind chopping my 458 socom to 10inch

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #24

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
What changes is now you have a short barreled rifle, falls under the same classification as a short barreled shotgun. Class 3 items. Not sure why they don't want the pistol converted to rifle.
Yes, I know. That's why I sent in form1, for the stamp to make it legal. FWIW, since it would no longer be a pistol I can also add a vertical grip to the front or mix and match the vgrip, pistol grip or stock to suit my needs w/o potential legal problems. Amazing what a difference a few inches can make (my wife said the same thing once )!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .458 socom sbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Im just curious. Very shortbarrel ar15 are little better than 22mag. My wis carry will be colt 1911 series 70 or new agent.

The thing that stops me from sbr is having to engrave the reciever with my name and such. Other than that wouldnt mind chopping my 458 socom to 10inch
You can send the rifle to a SOT/07 manufacturer, have them chop the barrel on a Form 2 and then transfer it back to you on a Form 4 (instead of 'making' it yourself on a Form 1). A bit more involved and they will charge you a fee for their 'work', but it puts THEIR information on the gun instead of yours.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

You can send the rifle to a SOT/07 manufacturer, have them chop the barrel on a Form 2 and then transfer it back to you on a Form 4 (instead of 'making' it yourself on a Form 1). A bit more involved and they will charge you a fee for their 'work', but it puts THEIR information on the gun instead of yours.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

thanks didnt know that was an option!!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #28

I just wish I didn't have to engrave anything on it at all. like my stamped reciver Ak that will be a bitch to get done

Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #29

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

UPDATE: I was online looking at my checking account last night to see if some bills I'd paid earlier had gone through and noticed the check I sent to the BATF for my class III stamp had cleared earlier in the day. My understanding is if you have a problem and the ATF denies your application, your check is returned. It seems rather quick (less than a month since I sent it in) compared to some report of 3-4 months for approval, but with the budget crisis maybe the feds needed the money more than me! I hope this is a sign that my form has passed muster and my stamp will be in the mail soon.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #30

They don't do anything until the check is cleared. Now that they have your money, they will start the background check. You will be waiting a few months yet!