Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Turning a pistol into a SBR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5318 Times on 2776 Posts
Likes Given: 336

sorry i forgot about this thread. i looked in my machine gun bible it says once a pistol always a pistol. but my mg bible is a few years old

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I thought you could make a pistol into a rifle but not make a rifle into a pistol. I may be wrong about this.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5318 Times on 2776 Posts
Likes Given: 336

rifle into pistol is SBR stamp. but with all this consult an actual nfa familiar lawyer as these opinions come under legal advice heading.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #14

Pistol is a pistol unless you make it a SBR by adding a stock to make it fire from a shoulder, or a front grip to make it An AOW. To do this you need to file Form 1 with ATF prior to possessing the stock (grip). Once the form is approved, you need to engrave the receiver with the maker name and location. At that point you can legally acquire the stock (front grip) and assemble.

Once a SBR (AOW) always a SBR (AOW) regardless of how you have it configured at any given moment. [unless you make it a machine gun as that trumps SBR and AOW - but that's for another discussion!]

Lawyers are a good starting point, but they don't lose their guns or go to jail if they give you wrong info, YOU do! If in doubt, ask ATF for the info In writing - it's the only way to CYA!

For more details, you can contact the NFA branch of the ATF at (304) 616-4500 or read the ATF NFA Handbook.

A link to the PDF can be found here:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8.pdf

Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Finally got a return call from the area ATF office last week and an email reply from the home office. Got my questions answered (I hope) and sent in my form 1 & check today. Hopefully, it won't take as long to get the stamp as it did to answer all my questions and send in the form.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I believe those .223 pistols say something along the lines of being used as a pistol only, do not convert to rifle.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
I believe those .223 pistols say something along the lines of being used as a pistol only, do not convert to rifle.
But, one thing that causes the Remington XP-100 pistols to be so expensive is the fact that a bunch of benchrest guys were buying them up and using them to make bench rifles out of the actions.

It is different as they are not SBR.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #18

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Why is that? Nothing about the gun changes except adding a butt stock.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
Why is that? Nothing about the gun changes except adding a butt stock.
What changes is now you have a short barreled rifle, falls under the same classification as a short barreled shotgun. Class 3 items. Not sure why they don't want the pistol converted to rifle.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #20

I'm sure they are saying don't add butt stock because it's illegal with out going through the proper channels. I know a lot of ar15 pistols say do not add a stock as well