Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Turning a pistol into a SBR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/turning-pistol-into-sbr-44245/)

rachilders 06-23-2011 06:19 AM

Turning a pistol into a SBR

I have a semi-auto pistol in 5.56/.223 - Kel-Tec's PLR-16, it's my avatar here - who's barrel is 9" that I'm considering turning into a short barreled rifle. The main reason is I'd like to add a detachable shoulder stock for extra stability when shooting at longer distances (beyond 50 yds) but doing that would turn my pistol into a rifle as per the ATF. Beyond that, the gun would remain unchanged.

Anyway, I am in the process of completing form 1 as required by the ATF for the necessary stamp and have a few questions that I hope those who have already been through the process of filling out the form may be able to answer. First: the area where you are required to supply your name and address (3b). The form says you only need to fill in your name and address but when you go to the ATF website and read the actual code, it also mentions your date of birth and location. Quote 479.62 "The applicant must be identified on the Form 1 (Firearms) by name and address and,... if an individual, the identification must include the date and place of birth." Which is correct? Second: since I'm simply adding a shoulder stock to an already existing gun with a serial number and the other information required by law, do I still need to create a new serial number/ID or simply use the original number/info that is already on the gun? Finally, are there any particular areas that seem to cause problems/rejections for first time applicants that I should look out for?

Any help from those with more experience with the ATF would be greatly appreciated!

rachilders 06-23-2011 07:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)
FYI, this is what I plan to do. My PLR started out from the factory as photo one, is now like photo two and if all goes as planned will look like photo's three & four when completed.

Flint Rock 06-23-2011 01:35 PM

Have you considered calling the BATF on the telephone and asking them what they want on their form? Just a thought.

JonM 06-23-2011 04:54 PM

this really needs to move to the nfa/class3 forum :) might get more eyes on the question

rachilders 06-23-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint Rock (Post 528040)
Have you considered calling the BATF on the telephone and asking them what they want on their form? Just a thought.

Yes, I did. They said follow the instructions. That was a big help!

orangello 06-23-2011 10:11 PM

I'm NFA ignorant, sorry. I'm just wondering about the folder pictured. It seems like you lose your pistolgrip when you add the folding stock, especially when it is folded. Am i seeing that wrong?

Sniper03 06-23-2011 10:22 PM

rachilders,

So you do not get yourself in a trick bag with the ATF. You may want to talk with the ATF and advise them it is originally a Pistol. A rifle can be converted to an SBR. But it is my understanding in the industry that once a pistol always a pistol. The manufacturer has registered it as a Pistol at the time of manufacture. Unless they have recently changed something regarding the pistol to rifle, I just wanted to make you aware of this so they do not come back on you later. As mentioned you may want to got to the FTF Forum regarding class III weapons so one of the present members can confirm or correct what I understood regarding the Pistol to Rifle situation.

rachilders 06-24-2011 07:03 PM

I've called the local office of the ATF about the form, but as I said, the answer was less than complete and a second call hasn't received a response yet. I've also sent an email to the ATF main website with the same questions I've brought up here and I'm still waiting for a reply.

rachilders 06-24-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 528220)
I'm NFA ignorant, sorry. I'm just wondering about the folder pictured. It seems like you lose your pistolgrip when you add the folding stock, especially when it is folded. Am i seeing that wrong?

From the one I've held, it's definitely smaller and not as ergonomic as the one on my PLR but still works, even when folded, as long as you don't have large hands and fingers. I'd say my hands are average and I didn't have a problem, though the pistol grip of the PLR is obviously better. The butt stock is probably meant to be carried open and to be used folded mainly for ease of storage and transporting.

BTKFirearms 07-08-2011 03:58 AM

Just catching up on the Class III threads... If you are still having issues with your form 1, and the proper steps to get your SBR up and running, feel free to message me, I'd be glad to assist.

-Todd