Transporting ?, and Carry ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Transporting ?, and Carry ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Transporting ?, and Carry ?

My old man is an FFL holder. He is looking at a collection fore sale in TX, and were in SC. Does he personally have to escourt the weapons back to SC, or would one of his drivers for the business be ok? He is also interested in getting his CWP, but not sure if he even needs one. Does his FFL cover as a CWP?
Sorry, but I asked the local ATF office, and they can't seem to give an answer. Nothing like Gov. officials that have no friggin clue what their job is.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9424 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

If your fathers FFL is an 01 Dealer, no, he does not have to go there in person- they may be shipped to the address on his FFL. He can use a common carrier (UPS, FedEx, or US Mail) or a contract carrier (when I moved from CO to VA, United Van lines received my guns, and transported them along with the sofa) He may not be able to recieve them in TX, but can at his licensed premises address.

FFL is a Federal license to engage in the business of buying and selling guns- or collecting guns, or importing guns, etc. Concealed weapons laws are STATE laws. There IS no Federal Concealed Weapons License (urban myths not withstanding).

If he wants to carry a concealed weapons, that is a separate matter licensed by each state.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'll set us both up to take the next CWP class. I let mine expire, not i gotta do it all over again!

The thing about shipping is more detailed than just a few coming by UPS, ect... Were talking hundreds of firearms.
He has his own drivers, trucks, ect. for shipping. He is curious if he can go to TX receive the weapons, and ship them back via. one of his truck's?? Or if he has to actually be in the truck returning with the firearms. The reason I wanna get this nailed down is because of the # of firearms, and possibility of problems shipping this many by normal carrier.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9424 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Question on transport is a tough one. Skip the local ATF office, and contact the firearms technical branch in Martinsburg WV. Their phone # is: 304 616-4500.

That is making an assumption (dangerous thing) that your Dad is an 01 Dealer FFL, and that none of the firearms are NFA arms- that is, fully automatic, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, destructive devices, or "any other weapons" (cane guns, shot pistols, etc)

Normally a dealer can receive at his licensed premises, or at a show.
The scenario you give is a first for me. The Tech branch of ATF will give you the straight poop- which a field office agent does not always have.

Good luck- and if there are any older Mossberg 22s in the stock your dad is picking up, please remember the helpful guy you talked with on the forum.

BTW- when transporting firearms- if they are unloaded, and NOT in the passenger compartment of the vehicle, and legal to possess both at the origin of your trip and at the destination, there IS a Federal law known as "Peaceable Journey" that permits that- they are not "concealed weapons" within the meaning of state laws.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:57 AM   #5

Thanks for the advise. I did end up calling our lawyer, and he requested an answer from the ATF in writing. We got it all straight, and shipped. I'll keep an eye out for the mossberg, but were more along the lines of shotgun's.

NEVER argue with an IDIOT!!!
They will only drag you down to their level,
and then beat you with experience!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #6

Default aeidson

I dont think the FFL doubles as a CWP. You can get the info at
atf.gov, they post a FAQ that is very handy!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #7

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Shooters correct, The FFL is Federal, any carry permit is State issued. Apple and oranges!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello