Transfer/Sale of NFA Gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Transfer/Sale of NFA Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Transfer/Sale of NFA Gun

Sorry if this is redundant. I'm a newbie.

My father has recently become very ill, and I am selling off his gun collection. One of the firearms i'm responsible for selling is a full-auto British Sten. As far as I know all his paperwork is correct for this gun. he bought it about 15 or more years ago, and i remember him going through a long legal process with a lot of paperwork to make this purchase.

My question, is what is involved in making a legal transfer or sale of this weapon? Can I even sell it for him? Or do I need him to transfer it to me somehow so that I can sell it?

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9149 Times on 3951 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

You do not want to transfer the STEN to you- that is a rather involved process and requires payment of a $200 tax(unless you want to keep it). IF the STEN is properly registered with the BATFE, then it can be transferred to another private citizen. This would be handled by a firearms dealer that holds a Class III endorsement to his 01 FFL (dealer's license) Class III refers to NFA firearms, like full autos, suppressors, etc. Locate a dealer, and he can guide you thru the process, aid in the sale, or purchase it himself for resale. LEGAL, papered full autos are scarce- In May 1986, they cut off registering any additional full autos to private citizens, so price on them has jumped. If you cannot locate a Class III dealer, send me an IM, will see if I can help. C3

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #3

Thanks so much. This is the information I needed. I guess the only other logical question I would have before selling is how to obtain a value for something like this and other historic firearms?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well for MG's of all sizes and types, this place gets updated every month.

Machine Gun Price Guide

The guy that owns this site keeps it current.

For Title I weapons, you should look at Gunbroker and other places that sell these type of weapons.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #5

thanks a lot. That's a great reference. I appreciate the help.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #6

Default Keep It

Personally I would keep it, as it will become more valuable in the future!
Stens usually go for around $5000 and Up and since it is an old gun that is full auto it will only increase the value, plus when the zombies come you'll be able to defend yourself.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That would require a transfer of a Class III weapon, the payment of obligitory taxes and it appears the OP isn't interested in keeping the Sten. Look at what is involved here How to Own Class III Weapons Basic Guidelines

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #8

I do realize the process, it is unfortunate that it must be so harsh and expensive, if he doesn't want to keep it is his decision, he could probably get a few thousand, which is certainly good for times such as these. I would keep it though. Wouldn't you?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Most likely, not. I wouldn't be able to afford ammo to shoot it or smithing fees to repair/restore it. For the $200 transfer fee, I could buy ammo for the guns I have now, If I could find any!! Or, I could get a good start on some reloading equipment.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #10

That is true because those guns eat ammo so it would probably end up just sitting around. They should make it slightly easier to get auto weapons, and cheaper. Unfortunately the prices may be irreversible. That 1986 ban is a real drag. You would think they could come up with something that still ensures safety but also ease of purchase.