Transfer from a non licensee to a ffl through mail - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Transfer from a non licensee to a ffl through mail

View Poll Results: Have you / do you accept this form of transfer
Yes I do. 4 50.00%
No I do not 3 37.50%
Have not had this issue arrise 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhill View Post
thanks for your input I was more directing it to ffl dealers as I am one. more or less a poll to see how others handled this situation. I have a store as well as do sales on gunbroker and guns america I have only had 2 individuals try to mail/transfer a firearm to me that were unlicensed one of which was yesterday and raised quite a stink when i made him aware of our stores policy that it must come from an ffl dealer. Reason being I can not confirm that the individual that actually packaged and shipped the firearm was the actual owner or if they are infact the actual person of whoms ID was sent with the firearm to show where it came from. Also by goind through a dealer I would expect the shipping dealer to check serial numbers before taking it into his custody and shipping which would prevent me from recieving a stolen/wanted firearm and having to explain the the customer why they can not take posession of it and how they will have to go after the seller for their money.
I see you're from Ga. , me too. Legally you can ship a long gun USPS as long as the drivers license is shown to the postal service and you fill out a simple form that you are shipping it to an ffl or not. As C3Shooter stated, your license and addy must match. Even if the sender is a ffl holder you don't know if the gun is stolen or not. If you are a dealer and buy a gun from an individual, all you do is look at their license and hold the gun for one week before you can sell it. The police do not check the weapon as soon as you send the info in. It might be month"s before they look at it. So what difference does it make if you buy a gun from a ffl or not. Either way,if it's stolen you or ever who ends up with the gun will have to return it. When you sell a weapon out of your store, you have to keep the form for 20 years and the info you called in is not even kept.
But the final decision is up to you. My partner is a ffl and class 3 holder, so it really doesn't bother us because we are not doing anything illegal.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have not had it come up...yet. I do see the risk, but as it goes, being there is no way for most dealers to check serial numbers, there's no real liability on the FFLs end of things. From an ethical standpoint, it's another matter. Truthfully, I'm a bit undecided on whether I will accept shipments from non licensees or not. I have no set policy...yet. I guess I better make up my mind before it does become an issue. It's bound to sooner or later.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #13

Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygoogle View Post
I see you're from Ga. , me too. Legally you can ship a long gun USPS as long as the drivers license is shown to the postal service and you fill out a simple form that you are shipping it to an ffl or not. As C3Shooter stated, your license and addy must match. Even if the sender is a ffl holder you don't know if the gun is stolen or not. If you are a dealer and buy a gun from an individual, all you do is look at their license and hold the gun for one week before you can sell it. The police do not check the weapon as soon as you send the info in. It might be month"s before they look at it. So what difference does it make if you buy a gun from a ffl or not. Either way,if it's stolen you or ever who ends up with the gun will have to return it. When you sell a weapon out of your store, you have to keep the form for 20 years and the info you called in is not even kept.
But the final decision is up to you. My partner is a ffl and class 3 holder, so it really doesn't bother us because we are not doing anything illegal.
It is our policy and the policy of several other dealers i converse with to call in the serial numbers before purchaseing a used gun to the local s/o or P.D they then run the numbers INSTANTLY.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #14

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhill View Post
It is our policy and the policy of several other dealers i converse with to call in the serial numbers before purchaseing a used gun to the local s/o or P.D they then run the numbers INSTANTLY.
We do but they sure don't check them instantly. They come in to the shop about every day and they'll tell you they don't have time to do it every day unless one is reported
We charge $20. and make hundreds every day off repeat cutomers.