Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Transfer fee's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/transfer-fees-66765/)

spacegun 06-20-2012 05:37 AM

Transfer fee's

I am amased at how many civilians will complain about the price for transfer.
Or how many newby's will do the transfer for just a couple of dollars. The comment is usually something like, well it only cost them a couple of bucks and a few minutes of there time.
Let me explain something here that the on line shopper and the FFL transferer does not seem to understand.
Who is taking ALL of the legal risk here? The seller or the FFL doing the transfer?
Thats right, the online store doesn't give a rats ass about Who he is selling to. Been there and done that a dozen times. Some gal buys 6 Mac 10's or maybe a nice little .22, pink pearl grips for her and a crome plated .45 with gold inlays (pimp gun) for her boy freind, what ever. You talk to her and ask a few SIMPLE questions, she doesn't know what caliber they are or ANYTHING about the purchase. DUHHHHH, Straw purchase cross your mind? Go ahead and do that transfer, how the hell do you sleep at night? If that gun spills blood, it is on your hands too. The seller sleeps just fine, made his profit and isn't liable for a damn thing.
When this happens, call your BATF Agent, have him come to your shop and do the transfer. They will probabley have an arrest shortly after.

Axxe55 06-20-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacegun (Post 842805)
I am amased at how many civilians will complain about the price for transfer.
Or how many newby's will do the transfer for just a couple of dollars. The comment is usually something like, well it only cost them a couple of bucks and a few minutes of there time.
Let me explain something here that the on line shopper and the FFL transferer does not seem to understand.
Who is taking ALL of the legal risk here? The seller or the FFL doing the transfer?
Thats right, the online store doesn't give a rats ass about Who he is selling to. Been there and done that a dozen times. Some gal buys 6 Mac 10's or maybe a nice little .22, pink pearl grips for her and a crome plated .45 with gold inlays (pimp gun) for her boy freind, what ever. You talk to her and ask a few SIMPLE questions, she doesn't know what caliber they are or ANYTHING about the purchase. DUHHHHH, Straw purchase cross your mind? Go ahead and do that transfer, how the hell do you sleep at night? If that gun spills blood, it is on your hands too. The seller sleeps just fine, made his profit and isn't liable for a damn thing.
When this happens, call your BATF Agent, have him come to your shop and do the transfer. They will probabley have an arrest shortly after.

partner, your information seems to be flawed on this. transfer fee has nothing to do with selling a firearm, just with tranfering it to the buyer. still have to go through a background check, just the same as if they bought it from the dealer it was shipped to. same 4473 form is filled out, FFL calls in the information for a background check and if it's clear, they collect the tranfer fee and release the firearm.

you really are not making a lot of sense on this at all.

ineverFTF 06-20-2012 06:02 AM

Im no expert but what ax^ said is correct 100%. Even when you ship to an ffl dealer, they still do a backround check. Just like if you bought a gun at bass pro, cabelas, academy etc.

spacegun 06-20-2012 06:30 AM

I don't think you got my point. The FFL doing the transfer is the one responsible for the transfer. Not the seller. Weather it is a straw purchase or not falls on the FFL doing the transfer. He takes ALL the legal risk, not the seller. So why should he do the transfer for peanuts?

hockeyjr1 06-20-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacegun
I don't think you got my point. The FFL doing the transfer is the one responsible for the transfer. Not the seller. Weather it is a straw purchase or not falls on the FFL doing the transfer. He takes ALL the legal risk, not the seller.

We understand what you are saying.,. But as long as that person answers all the questions on the form and passes the background check then the ffl will never be involved again with that gun..

A ffl has no risk as long as they cross their t's...

If they for some reason don't pass the check and the ffl says hey give me 200 more dollars and it's yours anyways.. Then that ffl would be on the hook...

spacegun 06-20-2012 06:49 AM

Damn, you still don't get it. Even if the check goes through and you KNOW in your heart that it is a straw purchase, how in good faith could you do the transfer? You can't. It is still illegal.

hockeyjr1 06-20-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacegun
Damn, you still don't get it. Even if the check goes through and you know in your heart that it is a straw purchase, how in good faith could you do the transfer?

Then you say I will not sell you this gun... Every business has the right to not serve a customer.. Just can't be for a racist reason... Problem
Solved...

Axxe55 06-20-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacegun (Post 842850)
I don't think you got my point. The FFL doing the transfer is the one responsible for the transfer. Not the seller. Weather it is a straw purchase or not falls on the FFL doing the transfer. He takes ALL the legal risk, not the seller. So why should he do the transfer for peanuts?

i do understand completely. the FFL is merely in possession of the firearm and transfers the firearm when the deal is completed. he has nothing at risk. the buyer fills out the 4473 form, the FFL dealer calls it in, if it clears, he collects his tranfer fee, and the buyer takes possession of the firearm.

and how is it a straw purchase? if by chance it were, and the buyer lies about the question, how could someone find fault with the dealer? they can't because he can't read minds and has no knowledge of the buyers intentions if he lied. do you even think that people who do buy gun legally and use them in the commision of a crime tell the FFL dealer they are going to commit a crime with that firearm? if it were a straw purchase and the buyer lies about it and the dealer releases the firearm or arms to the buyer, the burden is on the buyer if they are used illegally.

spacegun 06-20-2012 07:04 AM

Bingo, you got part of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 (Post 842863)
Then you say I will not sell you this gun... Every business has the right to not serve a customer.. Just can't be for a racist reason... Problem
Solved...

Axxe55 06-20-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacegun (Post 842862)
Damn, you still don't get it. Even if the check goes through and you KNOW in your heart that it is a straw purchase, how in good faith could you do the transfer? You can't. It is still illegal.

how could someone "know" in their heart that it's a straw purchase? now if the buyer says something that doesn't jive with the answers given, then he can refuse to release the firearm in question. he can inform the BATF and have them check it out if he suspects it's a straw purchase. then th burden of proving it's not is on the buyer.

how many firearms have you purchased? i know that over the past 30 something years i have purchased hundreds! i have sold hundreds! in the state of Texas, i can do a face to face private sale. i can sell a pistol, rifle or shotgun, any legal firearm without going to an FFL. as long as i know that the buyer isn't a prohibited person, i can sell to them. now hypothetical situation, if i know my BIL has been to prison, well common sense will tell you, i should know that, so therefor if i sell a pistol to him, it's going to be bad for me if he gets caught with it. now if this is a complete stranger, then i can't do a background check, so i have no knowledge of his prison record.

now the way i protect myself in private sales, i will only do them with people i personally know who are family or close friends. i have done them in the past with complete strangers, but i don't anymore.