Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (
-   -   Transfer From Deceased Husband To His Widow in CA (

Vikingdad 09-29-2012 04:00 PM

Transfer From Deceased Husband To His Widow in CA
OK, my Dad passed away a few weeks ago and left behind a S&W Model 60 that he purchased for him and his wife back in 1987 (I have the receipt). Since my Dad bought the gun in 1987 for the both of them as joint owners, is it still legally necessary for her to complete the paperwork transferring ownership? (they were married prior to the purchase) I know that currently the law does not allow for joint ownership/registration (like they do with cars for example), but what does the law say in regards to purchases such as this made prior to the current requirements (and what is that date)?

I have posted this question on Calguns, but I would like to hear from y'all as well if you have any useful information.

c3shooter 09-29-2012 05:52 PM

California law applies. See page 37 of this document.

JTJ 09-30-2012 12:29 AM

If it is in Kalifornistan, The deceased will probably be required to sign the papers.:rolleyes:

Flint Rock 09-30-2012 01:49 AM

Reading posts like this makes me pround to love in a gun friendly state.

Vikingdad 09-30-2012 03:34 AM

Thanks C3.

The rest of you can go to Hell! Don't you have any respect for the grieving?

JTJ 09-30-2012 04:04 AM


Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 959123)
Thanks C3.

The rest of you can go to Hell! Don't you have any respect for the grieving?

My apologies.:o

Vikingdad 09-30-2012 04:22 AM


Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 959153)
My apologies.:o

No worries, I am just giving you a hard time. I did find it funny;).

Old_Crow 10-08-2012 04:40 AM

We live in NC but these are federal laws. When her Father passed away every gun she inherited had to be treated as in state person to person sale. In NC she had to get a purchase permit for each gun she inherited.

I checked the handgunlawus site for regulations regarding dual ownership. In Ca there is no mention of dual ownership. If you have an attorney handling your Fathers estate I would seek his advice in this matter. It's better to be safe than sorry. In the event the weapon is stolen or destroyed in a fire, if the transfer was illegal the insurance will not pay.

Last but not least, I am truly sorry to hear about your loss.

Vikingdad 10-08-2012 04:53 AM

Thanks Old Crow. I have found a definitive answer on Calguns and I am going through the paperwork now. We are not using an attorney to handle the estate. No need to when the loved one has done their job in preparing things for the inevitable. Plus, I freaking hate lawyers, especially since one is suing us over my grandmother's estate that they didn't do any real work on and the work that they did do only served to make them money and potentially (had we not fired them) screw the family out of a hell of a lot of money.

Thanks for your kind condolences.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:00 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.