Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > thinking of starting my own business

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

You don't buy a McDonald's in most cases first thing, most people put in time burger flipping a few years and work their way up.

A no apprenticeship business venture is like sticking your hand into a spinning blender.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #12

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It's best to start as a 'hobby' if you will.
As a young adult I wanted to get into Motorsports like drag racing.
My mother, a successful small business owner of almost 30 years explained to me that I needed a job or career that would support my dream. She suggested becoming a mechanic or engine builder to reduce costs by doing stuff in my own or in the shop I worked in, this also allows an opportunity to gain a reputation.

Not sure where you're at as far as a job/career goes but this maybe something that can help you gain experience, access to tooling/tools and possible future clients.

Where there is a will there's a way.
You need a solid step by step plan from start to finish, and a solid business plan once you get to the finish(having your own business). Make your plan, make it solid and stick to it and know there will be hiccups along the way. Most important is staying with it.
Good luck sir.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #13

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
You don't buy a McDonald's in most cases first thing, most people put in time burger flipping a few years and work their way up.

A no apprenticeship business venture is like sticking your hand into a spinning blender.
Yes that's why um going to go to take a course and start a job working cnc, then work my way towards programmer and so on and so forth

Old 05-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
Can you give me some advice, or some friendly cretecing
Keep your day job.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5492 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 5824

No bubble busting, just reality as the others offered- Even Small lathes definitely can make giant gaping flesh wounds and put holes in people and things that are truly undesirable! Also, machine operators arent Metallurgists without advanced training nor do they design the tooling or cutters for the machines they are working unless they are "Toolmakers".

That said, there is nothing but learning and taxes that will stop you from your dreams, if you take them both by the horns you can be spinning metal into product in your own shop in a relatively short time. I wish you good luck!

Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Default Worlds deadliest jobs............

As soon as I can relocate the pics I have of a man that was caught up in a lathe, i'll send them to you..........It might change your mind when it comes to running machinery you know nothing about..........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5492 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 5824

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
As soon as I can relocate the pics I have of a man that was caught up in a lathe, i'll send them to you..........It might change your mind when it comes to running machinery you know nothing about..........
Word up...

That said, watching someone who knows what they are doing making big metal small is a beautiful thing! A good friend of mine is a Sr Toolmaker and he can make the old Bridgeport's sing like a concert! I can sit and watch for hours, just dont touch anything or you will get slapped. A thang of Beauty for sure!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 05-04-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Default Your last thought...........

Ya, Beauty and the Beast. I can't say how many times I allmost bought the farm when doing work on manual machines. I've had razor sharp cuttings wrapped around my neck many of times, and my legs. Threading is a nitemare when the shaving is comeing straight for your hands and your at the end of the cut. And old faithfull, forgetting the wrench in the chuck.......Ouch.....And worst of all, having to work for someone that buys junk machinery and expects nothing but the best. So what the lathe doesn't have a stop button or braking system. It wasn't untill my later years that I started to tell my wannabees. If you don't know how to get out of the situation and you can, RUN......And don't come back.................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #19

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
It's best to start as a 'hobby' if you will.
As a young adult I wanted to get into Motorsports like drag racing.
My mother, a successful small business owner of almost 30 years explained to me that I needed a job or career that would support my dream. She suggested becoming a mechanic or engine builder to reduce costs by doing stuff in my own or in the shop I worked in, this also allows an opportunity to gain a reputation.

Not sure where you're at as far as a job/career goes but this maybe something that can help you gain experience, access to tooling/tools and possible future clients.

Where there is a will there's a way.
You need a solid step by step plan from start to finish, and a solid business plan once you get to the finish(having your own business). Make your plan, make it solid and stick to it and know there will be hiccups along the way. Most important is staying with it.
Good luck sir.
Thanks man

Old 05-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #20

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Ultimatesig....I went to trade school after high school and became a auto service tech. I worked for a shop for 2 years and then started my own mobile auto service. As of right now it's going ok but I don't have the capital I need to expand. I am talking to my parents now about investing and they are seriously considering. But why I'm saying this is I wish I would have had the capital lined up first. It would have made everything so much easier so before you do anything get that CASH locked down.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"