thinking of starting my own business
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > thinking of starting my own business

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default thinking of starting my own business

Im thinking of getting my FFL and my class 3 to start my own business and um curious....

Is it difficult to operate a small lathe with no experience?

Im thinking of building or rather creating a new sound suppressor system. I will spend quit a but of time as R&D but eventually I will have a product to sell.

My second ? Is would a small table top lathe work for what I want, perhaps a grizzly model?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #2

Liked 759 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Yes it is.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #3

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
Im thinking of getting my FFL and my class 3 to start my own business and um curious....

Im thinking of building or rather creating a new sound suppressor system. I will spend quit a but of time as R&D but eventually I will have a product to sell.

My second ? Is would a small table top lathe work for what I want, perhaps a grizzly model?
You've got several fairly large obstacles to conquer in this scenario.

1. Simply getting a FFL is no small feat. You may look into the process and realize that you'll never be able to get your license due to zoning restrictions, etc.

2. You're wanting to produce a product in which you have little to know experience producing or possibly even knowledge of the subtleties of operations. I predict you'll spend a HUGE amount of money in wasted time and materials simply trying to design something from scratch using machinery that you have no experience using.

3. Unless you're using CNC maching, your production as a one-man shop using one small bench top lathe will be extremely low. The chances of you selling enough finished products to recoup all the money wasted during "R&D" are very slim and would probably take years.

4. People are machinists by trade. It is definitely not impossible to teach yourself, but you're talking a significant time investment just to learn how to properly operate a lathe and to calculate measurements in fractions you didn't even know existed before.

5. And provided that you're able to conquer all the above hurdles, you'll still be a small shop with relatively low production, so you'll constantly have to keep marketing your business so you're not forgotten about.

I don't mean to discourage you, I'm just trying to be realistic with you. I have a HUGE entrepreneurial spirit myself. I have thought of starting my own businesses before I ever graduate high school. I learned the hard way that 99% of them were pipe dreams. But nobody really sat me down and explained all the hurdles. That being said, I currently have a full time career and also operate two different businesses that are relatively profitable. I ended up scratching countless business ideas before I found one that worked for me. My advice is that you keep trying until something fits. The best place to look is in areas of your life that you already have knowledge and/or skill. That will eliminate several hurdles right off the bat.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post

Yes it is.
Can you give me some advice, or some friendly cretecing

Old 05-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post

You've got several fairly large obstacles to conquer in this scenario.

1. Simply getting a FFL is no small feat. You may look into the process and realize that you'll never be able to get your license due to zoning restrictions, etc.

2. You're wanting to produce a product in which you have little to know experience producing or possibly even knowledge of the subtleties of operations. I predict you'll spend a HUGE amount of money in wasted time and materials simply trying to design something from scratch using machinery that you have no experience using.

3. Unless you're using CNC maching, your production as a one-man shop using one small bench top lathe will be extremely low. The chances of you selling enough finished products to recoup all the money wasted during "R&D" are very slim and would probably take years.

4. People are machinists by trade. It is definitely not impossible to teach yourself, but you're talking a significant time investment just to learn how to properly operate a lathe and to calculate measurements in fractions you didn't even know existed before.

5. And provided that you're able to conquer all the above hurdles, you'll still be a small shop with relatively low production, so you'll constantly have to keep marketing your business so you're not forgotten about.

I don't mean to discourage you, I'm just trying to be realistic with you. I have a HUGE entrepreneurial spirit myself. I have thought of starting my own businesses before I ever graduate high school. I learned the hard way that 99% of them were pipe dreams. But nobody really sat me down and explained all the hurdles. That being said, I currently have a full time career and also operate two different businesses that are relatively profitable. I ended up scratching countless business ideas before I found one that worked for me. My advice is that you keep trying until something fits. The best place to look is in areas of your life that you already have knowledge and/or skill. That will eliminate several hurdles right off the bat.
Thank you for that. So I guess before I dive into this I need to get my feet wet. Get a trade and then a part time as an operator. I just want to do something different. I've worked in bars for the past 6 years and it's getting old. I want to do something were I can grow. I can't really move up or do what I want because my tits aren't big enough if you catch my drift.

You haven't popped my bubble you've just help me create a mental timeline for the next few years. For that I thank you and respect your advice for putting things into aspect.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Sig, first thing is what about start-up capitol? starting any new business from scratch is going to require a huge influx of capital to get started.

next, right now with the current economic climate and the political adminstration, now might not be the best time to start this type of venture. even firmly established gun shops are having a hard time.

where do you plan on doing business? have to consider zoning. if you can't do it at home due to zoning, that means renting or buying a shop that would allow for you to such business. with that, there is going to be rent or mortgage payment, utilities, taxes and ect.....

then you need the proper equipment to do what you want to do. as mentioned, slow production rate equals low income on products. the Grizzly you mentioned, though a good product, not for mass production though. then trying to start into a market, that already has proven players that have been doing it for many years, well that's going to be a huge obstacle to overcome, if you do.

nothing wrong with having a desire and a dream, but there are realities that need to be addressed if they are to be realistic.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #7

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Can you give me some advice, or some friendly cretecing
Running a lathe isn't particularly difficult, it's just complicated.

You have to be very careful, until you get very familiar with the

machine, to be sure to remove very small amounts of metal from the work

piece.

You would really want training, or mentoring until you were fully

aware of proper balancing, mounting, setting speeds, feeds,

properly fabricating and adjusting bits, etc.

Then you're back to square one with Olympus's observations.

Perhaps if you sought to work in a shop which makes the

items you were thinking of making, it would give you

some closer insight.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #8

I think im going to go to school for it and get a trade then a job as a cnc operator or programmer. I have a little experience with auto cad but it's been so long it might help to take the courses again. Thanks for the advice and starting my own business right now is not the way to go at this time.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 213 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
I think im going to go to school for it and get a trade then a job as a cnc operator or programmer. I have a little experience with auto cad but it's been so long it might help to take the courses again. Thanks for the advice and starting my own business right now is not the way to go at this time.
Now that's starting to look like a plan

You also might check out the local community colleges and see if
they offer a basic machine operation course. Grab a small lathe and
build a couple of suppressors (with the proper paperwork BEFORE
you start making chips)

A usable suppressor is well within the capabilities of the fairly
skilled craftsman. A state of the art suppressor? Different
critter. Now you get into CNC milling centers, wire and sinker EDM,
and machining my favorite metal I love to hate-----Titanium.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post

Now that's starting to look like a plan

You also might check out the local community colleges and see if
they offer a basic machine operation course. Grab a small lathe and
build a couple of suppressors (with the proper paperwork BEFORE
you start making chips)

A usable suppressor is well within the capabilities of the fairly
skilled craftsman. A state of the art suppressor? Different
critter. Now you get into CNC milling centers, wire and sinker EDM,
and machining my favorite metal I love to hate-----Titanium.
Yea I'd like to do that. Id like to re-invent the suppressor and fix the little problems with them or make them better.

Last edited by Ultimate_sig; 05-04-2013 at 04:53 AM.