Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Are there legal silencers or noise suppressors (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/there-legal-silencers-noise-suppressors-96843/)

ccase39 09-11-2013 12:56 AM

Are there legal silencers or noise suppressors
 
?? Just wondering. I have seen some of the things that you can put on that look like silencers, but I dont like things just for looks. If I cant have the real thing I don't want it. I was at the range the other day and a guy was shooting some sort of SMG with a suppressor on it. It didnt totally silence it, but it did cut down on the report drastically. I don't know if he was military or had a special permit or what. Looked like he was shooting 45 cal.

Axxe55 09-11-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccase39 (Post 1367755)
?? Just wondering. I have seen some of the things that you can put on that look like silencers, but I dont like things just for looks. If I cant have the real thing I don't want it. I was at the range the other day and a guy was shooting some sort of SMG with a suppressor on it. It didnt totally silence it, but it did cut down on the report drastically. I don't know if he was military or had a special permit or what. Looked like he was shooting 45 cal.

according to the BATF, anything that suppresses the sound by even one decibel, is considered a silencer/suppressor, and therefor subject to approval and taxing by the BATF.

yes there are companies that make face silencers for sale for those who want the look, but don't want to pay the price. some states, they are not even legal to own, so some people buy the fake ones.

clr8ter 09-11-2013 01:00 AM

Federal Law says they ARE legal to have.....with a $200 tax stamp, and lots of paperwork and waiting. But some states restrict them. Not sure about LA.

robocop10mm 09-11-2013 01:51 AM

They are called supressors and they are legal under Federal law. You just have to file a Form 1, pay $200 and wait about 4 months to take possession

TruggieTex 09-11-2013 02:04 AM

Hey Axxe, Woody, and Robo...

While we were running wheel guns at the end of the range, a guy had a .22 semi with a suppressor at the 50 yds...
Did y'all see/hear that?
Was my first experience with that sound.

hmh 09-11-2013 02:04 AM

4 months is optimistic

Axxe55 09-11-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruggieTex (Post 1367828)
Hey Axxe, Woody, and Robo...

While we were running wheel guns at the end of the range, a guy had a .22 semi with a suppressor at the 50 yds...
Did y'all see/hear that?
Was my first experience with that sound.

didn't hear a thing! must have been a good suppressor!:D

Car54 09-11-2013 02:16 AM

I filed Jan 10, and still waiting.

TruggieTex 09-11-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55

didn't hear a thing! must have been a good suppressor!:D

I had my ears on or I may not have heard it;)
Was weird! But no bang!

BillM 09-11-2013 02:35 AM

Yes they are legal. It appears that they are legal in LA.
Whether you go trust or individual is up to you, either way
figure on 8 months minimum for the paperwork to get
through ATF.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.