Is there any truth in this? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

Is there any truth in this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I just read this on another forum I am on and don't believe it to be true. Can anybody give me an instance in which it happens?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Actually, it's not just border states if they are handguns:

ATF form 3310.4

"This form is to be used by licensees to report all transactions in which an unlicensed person acquired two or more pistols or revolvers or any combination of pistols or revolvers totaling two or more at one time or during five consecutive business days. This form is not required when the pistols or revolvers are returned to the same person from whom they are received."

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf

Look down the form a ways---there is reference to sending a copy to local law.

Last edited by BillM; 07-07-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #13

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Actually, it's not just border states if they are handguns:

ATF form 3310.4

"This form is to be used by licensees to report all transactions in which an unlicensed person acquired two or more pistols or revolvers or any combination of pistols or revolvers totaling two or more at one time or during five consecutive business days. This form is not required when the pistols or revolvers are returned to the same person from whom they are received."

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf
Exactly! The term five consecutive business days is tricky too, cause if you buy on one Monday and then come back and buy another handgun on Friday it falls within the window and must be reported. That's applies across the board no matter what state you are in.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #14

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Thank you for your reasonable responses. I appreciate it a lot.
Maybe it's because of the heat but it seems manners are not what they once were around here.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Default Fireguy's ?

Please don't let the responses from two smart mouths discourage you. The rest of us didn't appreciate their bad manners either. Hope you'll continue to reply in the forums.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 71

As long as they are legit.. nothing to worry about.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

To reiterate, yes. Handguns bought in more that two of a total purchased quantity within a five day window of consecutive days has to be reported to ATF. They provide FFLs with a form to do this and mandate that the form must be faxed or mailed pretty much immediately. Unless any given state has a similar reporting requirement, there is nothing on any other level that requires this reporting.

Now, the loophole to this is that is someone local to me buys a gun from, say, Bud's Gun Shop online and has it sent to someone else local for processing and two days later buys a gun from me, unless the buyer tells me about the first purchase, I'd have no way of knowing about the one he bought from Bud's, so I wouldn't be sending in the reporting form. There's no way for us to know about previous purchases from other dealers unless the buyer freely admits to the purchase. We are not required to ask if anyone has bought guns days previously and I don't see why anyone would. I don't like to have to send these forms in and doubtful does anyone else does either, but it shouldn't stop you from making multiple purchases if that's what you have occasion to do.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #18

Liked 245 Times on 180 Posts

Also kinda along those lines, kinda. When I moved to this house about 15 years ago. I surrendered my ffl, as it was easier than dealing with all the paper work and I wasn't making any money with it anyway. I had to box up all my forms and paperwork and send it in. What I don't know is exactly what they do with it. Do they enter it in their system or just place the box in a dusty warehouse somewhere!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10781 Times on 4665 Posts
Likes Given: 1760

Dusty warehouse. They are unable to find their own NFA paperwork for registered full autos, much less an out-of-business dealer's 4473s.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #20

Liked 245 Times on 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Dusty warehouse. They are unable to find their own NFA paperwork for registered full autos, much less an out-of-business dealer's 4473s.
That's kinda what I thought