Is there any truth in this?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Is there any truth in this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Is there any truth in this?

I just read this on another forum I am on and don't believe it to be true. Can anybody give me an instance in which it happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead123
just received over 6,000 rounds from Cheaper Than Dirt-gonna pick up 3 more guns later tonight...

Dont know if it bothers you or not but buying guns in quantity like that (depending on the make and models) from a dealer, will make the transaction be scrutinized by the ATF or local law enforcement. Whenever you buy multiple handguns or certain long guns, the dealer MUST send a letter to the ATF and one to local law enforcement. Whether or not they look into it is up to them but it may draw unwanted attention to you.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Believe that's true on borders states as far as atf goes. Some states have additional regulations on reporting possibly.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

Liked 2525 Times on 1135 Posts
Likes Given: 2428

If it's legal why should it bother you? Big deal he bought 3 guns, he probably already has huge collection anyway, what's three more guns.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I just read this on another forum I am on and don't believe it to be true. Can anybody give me an instance in which it happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead123
just received over 6,000 rounds from Cheaper Than Dirt-gonna pick up 3 more guns later tonight...

Dont know if it bothers you or not but buying guns in quantity like that (depending on the make and models) from a dealer, will make the transaction be scrutinized by the ATF or local law enforcement. Whenever you buy multiple handguns or certain long guns, the dealer MUST send a letter to the ATF and one to local law enforcement. Whether or not they look into it is up to them but it may draw unwanted attention to you.

What are you talking about? Is there any truth in what? You read what on another forum? The only thing I see in your post is that someone bought 6K rounds of ammo and they're going to buy 3 more guns. What's the problem?
It's true that if an an unlicensed person acquires two or more pistols or revolvers or any combination of pistols or revolvers totaling two or more at one time or during five consecutive business days the FFL has to submit a form to the ATF but how is that relevant here?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Wow, I guess I have to spell it out pretty well for some dense people here.
It there any truth in a multiple gun purchase requiring a letter to the ATF? I know that there was an attempt to require reporting on border states, but I don't have information that this was in a border state.
For those who ask "why do I care?" it is because I want to have knowledge in this. I think people should be able to buy as many guns as they can afford. Sheesh. I don't know about this forum anymore, it used to be a helpful place, but now seems like a den of jerks just wanting to blast some one.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Yes there is truth in it. We had to fill one out the other day because my friend bought three handguns from us at one time.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #7

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

fireguy asked a question which is a legit question. contrary to popular beliefs many people actualy don't know every law regarding every issue of firearms. Don't be an ass when responding to questions that people ask in this forum that is what we are here for, not for your personnel entertainment.

As far as the question goes, my understanding is that multiple sales of more then 2 of any semi-auto larger then .22 cal and that has a detachable mag. in the 4 boarder states (Ca, Az, NM,TX) must be reported to the ATF. Here where I live nothing is reported even if I buy 10 AK-47's all I do is fill out the 4473 and pay my money and take them home.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #8

You can buy any gun and any quantity at most TX gunshows. Especially those not near a major metroplex (DFW)

Old 07-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #9

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

It's older news and affects gun dealers in CA, AZ, NM and TX. I believe it is based on "demand letters" issued by the ATF. Here's a link to NRA-ILA with a whole host of articles explaining it in detail - http://www.nraila.org/search.aspx?s=demand%20letters

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
fireguy asked a question which is a legit question.
What was the legit question that started this thread?