Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Texas CHL/FFL eligibility?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Texas CHL/FFL eligibility?

Hi,
I have been doing some research because I want to get my CHL and my FFL. I am from Texas. I was arrested for drag racing back in 2007 which I believe is a class A misdeamor and for possession of alcohol by a minor which that is a class B. The class A misdeamor was dismissed and I did not recieve any sorts of probation. As for the class B, I did everything that was ordered by the judge (community hours,fine, etc.) and did not receive any probation either. I know that I am required to wait 5 years in order to be eligible because of the convictions here in Texas.

My questions is would be where would I be able to look and find my information so that I can get the date in which I do become eligible and whether or not I might of be missing information in regards to these convictions.

Also do my convictions disqualify me from getting my FFL? I have been looking through the ATF website and I can not seem to find any information in regards to eligibility

Thanks in advance for the help.

Roger

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

www.tx chl .com

i have seen the light

Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 AM   #3

anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #4

Default Texas CHL

In regard to your legal question about Texas CHL, the law is as follows.
You can not have had a felony ever (duh), and can not have had a class B misdemeanor or higher in the last TEN years. Not sure on the FFL.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #5

Red,
The only FFL restrictions I know of from convictions are no Family Violence (any class), No Felonies, No Outstanding Immigration Issues. You can request a copy of your Criminal History from Texas Dept of Public Safety. They require certified documents and charge a small fee or you can get arrested again and ask the book in officer to show you your 43. However I don't recommend that one. LOL
Sorry a lil police humor. Anyways good luck from a previous law breaker (now law enforcer).

Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1027 View Post
anyone that can point me in the right direction?
The right direction is the Texas statutes on firearms licensing and concealed carry. Absent that the State Police or a local attorney that specializes in firearms law. Any advice you get here is worth what you pay for it and no one here will be willing to serve your jail time if they're wrong...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckstactical View Post
Red,
The only FFL restrictions I know of from convictions are no Family Violence (any class), No Felonies, No Outstanding Immigration Issues. You can request a copy of your Criminal History from Texas Dept of Public Safety. They require certified documents and charge a small fee or you can get arrested again and ask the book in officer to show you your 43. However I don't recommend that one. LOL
Sorry a lil police humor. Anyways good luck from a previous law breaker (now law enforcer).

LOL thanks man really appriciate it. I do understand that asking for legal advice on the internet is asking for trouble. I just wanted to get some input and I am just trying to gain some valuable information. This forum is full with guys with great knowledge and I am just trying to acquire some. Once again thank you.