Taking A Couple Inches Off Their Barrels To Get A Tax Stamp To Avoid The Gun Ban?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Taking A Couple Inches Off Their Barrels To Get A Tax Stamp To Avoid The Gun Ban?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 946 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Default Taking A Couple Inches Off Their Barrels To Get A Tax Stamp To Avoid The Gun Ban?

How Many People are Taking A Couple Inches Off Their Barrels To Get A Tax Stamp To Avoid The Gun Ban?

A local news show did a story on a machine shop that was converting any rifle to a short barreled riffle in compliance with the class 3 laws, to get around a possible gun ban. The owner quit his other full time job because he has so many orders for business he could not keep up at part time. He is also opening another custom shop in another town.

Is this a good idea, to buy the tax stamps to beat the feds at their own game?

I already have a 14.5" barrel on an AR with a soldered on long flash hider. A regular flash hider would be an easy upgrade to class 3 if I did the paperwork first and paid the ransom of $200.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #2

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

How does this keep it off the list for a gun ban?

Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #3

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 24

That's very interesting. I would like a little more info on that too.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It seems like that would be out of the frying pan into the fire to me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
slewfoot Likes This 
Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #5

Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It seems like that would be out of the frying pan into the fire to me.
Ditto, you have to apply for and receive the Tax Stamp FIRST before you do any modifications to the gun. Also, to get this stamp you have to jump through a bunch of hoops like asking permission of the Chief Law Enforcement Agent of your area, send in a Finger Print Card to the ATF and summit to a background check along with paying your $200.
This is basically all the crazy stuff that they want to make law for ownership of what are now legal semi-autos that only currently require a Form 4473 and Brady Check so why do their job for em'. Wait for it to happen before you volunteer to do it.
This is the War Room!"
People Like This 
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8259 Times on 4771 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Wouldn't you be better off if you lost your guns in some sort of boating accident at sea and report them lost? Personally I would rather have to report my guns lost (not stolen) than to have to jump through all of those hoops and register the gun, have to pay the tax stamp, and then the mothereffing Feds come and confiscate them down the road anyhow. That would suck.

Whats this? My AR wasn't lost at sea it was just misplaced in the back of my sock drawer? Now how on Earth did I miss it there!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1577 Times on 1075 Posts
Likes Given: 544

A good one is you leaned the camo AR-15 against a tree to free a hand to relieve yourself. You got caught up in nature. 10 minutes later you could not find your gun. They don't have to know the tree is in the back yard.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8259 Times on 4771 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Currently there is no law requiring that you record the serial numbers and descriptions of the firearms you lose- so as long as you do not try to collect an insurance claim on firearms that may later be found, there is no harm no foul that I can see.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1577 Times on 1075 Posts
Likes Given: 544

I wonder how many firearms were reported as lost when the Canadians tried to register all guns? Not to mention the rural sheriffs departments that did not have the manpower to keep up a registry.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #10

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

MI requires lost guns to be reported. The serial numbers are entered in NCIC so if they are checked, it will show the firearm lost.