Surefire socom556-rc
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Surefire socom556-rc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Surefire socom556-rc

This will be my first can/nfa item to buy. Looking around and doing alot of browsing I think the the sf socom is the one I want to to get. But I have a few things to ask before i get it. I plan on putting it on a 16" ar15 and doing this in September.

1. How long do they normally last? I plan on taking it to carbine classes and eventually teaching classes so it will have a lot of round count.

2. How do you clean it? I remember reading somewhere it's not good to submerge it.

3.would this work on a sbr I plan on building or buying a ddmk18.

4. I can't find if this is warrantied or not. So if I get a baffle strike, or if it dies do to too much build up . Can I send it in to get it cleaned and new baffles?

NFA questions

1. I plan on doing a trust so I can put my wife ,son and parents on it, but can I put more than one nfa item like the can then the sbr when I build it?

2. What's the wait time now? I'm tracking around 10months.

Sorry for all the questions but this a one time purchase and I rather ask alot of questions and buy a good can pay more and cry once

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/sound-suppressors/rifle-carbine-suppressors/556-mm-223-caliber/socom556-rc.html

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5684 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce101 View Post
This will be my first can/nfa item to buy. Looking around and doing alot of browsing I think the the sf socom is the one I want to to get. But I have a few things to ask before i get it. I plan on putting it on a 16" ar15 and doing this in September.

1. How long do they normally last? I plan on taking it to carbine classes and eventually teaching classes so it will have a lot of round count.

the lifetime of several rifles and beyound. most surefire cans have a 100k round halflife. half life is when the can loses half its sound suppression ability

2. How do you clean it? I remember reading somewhere it's not good to submerge it.

cleaning isnt needed with centerfire ammunition, do not shoot unjacketed rounds through a centerfire suppressor. they can be dunked in cleaning solutions but its a bad idea. water and wire pulling gel is often used in suppressors to eliminate first round pop.

3.would this work on a sbr I plan on building or buying a ddmk18.

depends, contact surefire, not all cans are rated for sbr use. they will tell you what the minimum barrel length is for the one your interested in

4. I can't find if this is warrantied or not. So if I get a baffle strike, or if it dies do to too much build up . Can I send it in to get it cleaned and new baffles?

with surefire they are warranteed and yes surefire can clean them but its not needed

NFA questions

1. I plan on doing a trust so I can put my wife ,son and parents on it, but can I put more than one nfa item like the can then the sbr when I build it?

they can go on a trust with you only if they are 21yrs old and can pass a background check to buy a handgun. non 21 they can go on as an heir and be added later when they reach age. do not add them if you are not sure if they are legal to buy a handgun, the batfe does check everyone on the trust. yes you can put as many items on a trust as you want. use an attourney that knows about nfa law in your state. DO NOT use the nfa trustmaker software each state has different requirements for a legal trust. a knowledgable nfa attourney will help you with all your starting nfa questions. its worth the extra money and time to consult a lawyer on this. its 25 years in prison for getting it wrong. your not a mass murdering mexican drug lord approved of by the batfe you will go to jail for violating nfa law

2. What's the wait time now? I'm tracking around 10months.

bout 10-12 months

Sorry for all the questions but this a one time purchase and I rather ask alot of questions and buy a good can pay more and cry once

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/sound-suppressors/rifle-carbine-suppressors/556-mm-223-caliber/socom556-rc.html
answers in bold

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-29-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks alot for answering my questions.