supressor design - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > supressor design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_REPUBLICAN View Post
Does any company manufacture a silencer that will fit the bushmaster 5.5'' flash suppressor?

And from earlier- A class 2 SOT will enable you to build a silencer, and your friend could help. And I believe that you are allowed to keep anything you make that is not a machine gun after you give up the SOT (unless you built the mg before May 19, 1986) But considering that the SOT is $500/year, a crapload of paperwork, and possibly trouble-causing (If you are just doing it to build things for you and you don't have a legitimate business, like selling to LE, you will get busted for tax evasion) It is a far better value to buy off the shelf.
I don't know of a unit that will accept the 5.5" adaptor. One of the main reasons that comes to mind, is that the 5.5" is needed to make minimum barrel length in most states, and since the sound suppressor would be a controlled unit, the person would also have the ability to get & field the shorter barrel, legally, as well.

JD

Old 08-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you JD

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
-Ronald Reagan

Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 AM   #23

My old man once told of a MP5 9mm with from-the-factory suppressor, full auto, he said that all one could hear was the tictictictic of the (I'm guessing firing pin and such mechanisms). His words were along the lines of it being so quiet as to be masked by leaves rustling in an autumn breeze. It was using subsonic.

This is an "accessory" I've pondered acquiring someday down the road... anyone know right off hand if TN allows suppressors?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:23 AM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS View Post

This is an "accessory" I've pondered acquiring someday down the road... anyone know right off hand if TN allows suppressors?
I believe that TN is a VERY friendly state in regards to your Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

JD

Old 08-17-2008, 02:40 AM   #25

Default you CAN legally make a brand new suppressor

Just read this thread and am the new guy but you CAN file an ATF Form 1 and manufacture a brand new suppressor for PERSONAL USE - NOT FOR RESALE without having the FFL and SOT. You CANNOT make your own machine gun however. These are both NFA items but the laws are NOT the same for machineguns and other NFA "stuff". This is also assuming you live in a state that allows suppressors. If you don't believe me check out the ATF site or jump over to either subguns.com or sturmgewehr.com and ask around. I have personnally Form 1'd a few items (again, NOT machineguns) and there are some folks who have built some fantastic homemade suppressors. This all comes with the caveat that if you have never ran a lathe before, you would probably be better served with a commercially produced suppressor.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:36 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS View Post
My old man once told of a MP5 9mm with from-the-factory suppressor, full auto, he said that all one could hear was the tictictictic of the (I'm guessing firing pin and such mechanisms). His words were along the lines of it being so quiet as to be masked by leaves rustling in an autumn breeze. It was using subsonic.

You're referring to the MP5SD. They're quiet when fed subsonic ammo, but not quite the way you're making them sound. They make enough noise that you can't hold a normal conversation over them.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

True, as one who has "been there", I will tell you that your efforts will likely not be as fruitful or satisfying, suppressing .223 Rem.

Some claim to have sub-sonic .223 ammo, and that it successfully operates gas ejection mechanisms, some say bolt action recommended. I have not personally seen acceptable .223 ammo which leaves the muzzle at 1,000 fps.

It is far more rewarding, and challenging to boot, to load 9mm with very heavy bullets, as high as 180 gr., and shoot them out of an AR-15 made for that caliber, having removed the standard flash-hider, get the drift?

You can do this by legally transferring a suppressor such as Sionics, designed originally for MAC-10, to your name, and then become a happy camper.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

King, it is a mis-statement technically to say a large part of the "supersonic" crack is removed by a can. Any object travelling in excess of the speed of sound through the air creates a shock wave which cannot be altered materially.

The can reduces the INTENSITY of the sound waves, for sure, and it is intensity which our ears perceive as acceptable or not. This is what decibels are all about- a measurement of sound intensity regardless of direction or frequency.