supressor design - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > supressor design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Thank you so much, I have looked at two of those already.
Thanks again

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:21 AM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

No problem. I don't know what your experience level is with suppressors, so forgive me, but no suppressor is going to be totally silent. A wet can is going to be quieter, and the ones I recommended are dry cans - they will take a lot off the sound, and if you load subsonic ammo it will help, just don't expect to be shooting it in the backyard without a sound.

Think along the lines of a quiet electric nail/staple gun...

JD

Old 06-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've got the AAC M4-2007 model that I'm happy with. It uses the Phantom flash hider for quick attach/detach, it'll also support the newer Blackout flash hider also. This one is FA rated, the M4-1000 is not. Both have a spring loaded retaining clip which ensures the can will never unscrew unintentionally, which is a very important feature in my opinion and helps ensure peace of mind. I've never seen any subsonic .223, I guess because it would just be a .22 LR then. It sounds like a .22 rifle when shooting normal .223 rounds and is close to being hearing safe. It definitely takes a large part of the super-sonic crack away and makes shooting alot more pleasureable for me.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #14

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I have had the chance to play with one while i was in the Army, so i know that they are not movie quiet on a 5.56. We did get the chance to play around with a supressed .22 as well, that was loaded with subsonics, and that WAS movie quiet.
I live on 55 acers out in the country and I have set up a range that i can shoot out to 600 yards. I have never tried shooting that far yet, but it is set up so that i could if i want to. My biggest problem is i have one neighbor that is a little old lady, that has a dog that gets very scared of loud nosies. The dog will burry its self under her house, and then not come out for days. When ever I am going to do some shooting( more that 2 or 3 shots) i have to call her so she can drug her dog and lock it up. I would like to be able to avoid all of this, so this is why i have started looking at supressors again. I guess i will have to get one for my 7 rem mag as well.
Thanks for everyones help and advice, i guess i need to get going on the ATF forms.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The Gemtech and AWC are both pretty popular models. Being that I'm from Kalifornia though, the state has deemed that it is dangerous for me to posses such items and as such, I have no experience with either.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #16

I would personally never field a Gemtech product because the Q/A, and overall product reliability, has not been good for a long time. They are popular because they make affordable Glock suppressors and have a market name. Also, based on a side by side price comparison, you can get any of the ones I listed, with a great rep and warranty, for the same, or possibly even lower, price....

Just info from what I have personally witnessed and handled myself...

JD

Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I would personally never field a Gemtech product because the Q/A, and overall product reliability, has not been good for a long time. They are popular because they make affordable Glock suppressors and have a market name. Also, based on a side by side price comparison, you can get any of the ones I listed, with a great rep and warranty, for the same, or possibly even lower, price....

Just info from what I have personally witnessed and handled myself...

JD
Good to know, I'll keep that in mind. Didn't Sig run the Gemtechs for a while too?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #18

I believe they did matt, but I don't believe they are currently. I just checked their website and they are only offering two models with threaded barrels, their 226 Tactical and their Mosquito line, neither one offers a suppressor with the kit, so I would suspect they are recommending a couple of brands.

JD

Old 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #19

YHM makes a great product with a great waranty and good db reduction.

La France is the quietest but $ 800 is the cost.

Supressor designs are available via the US Patent office but copying the design would be foolish !

Buy one is a good recommendation..and the safest for 223 pressures !

Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does any company manufacture a silencer that will fit the bushmaster 5.5'' flash suppressor?

And from earlier- A class 2 SOT will enable you to build a silencer, and your friend could help. And I believe that you are allowed to keep anything you make that is not a machine gun after you give up the SOT (unless you built the mg before May 19, 1986) But considering that the SOT is $500/year, a crapload of paperwork, and possibly trouble-causing (If you are just doing it to build things for you and you don't have a legitimate business, like selling to LE, you will get busted for tax evasion) It is a far better value to buy off the shelf.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
-Ronald Reagan