supressor design
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > supressor design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default supressor design

Can anyone post a sucessful supressor design for a .223. I am doing all of the BATF paper work, but my friend with the metal lathe wants to look over the design, before I send the ATF the money. I have seen pics. of the k-baffle design, but I have no measurments to go by. Will anyone help me out?
Thanks in advance

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Unless you are applying for a manufacturers license, "doing the BATF paper work" doesn't allow your friend to make you a silencer. You are threading on some pretty thin ice with some people, the friendly feds, not known for their sense of humor and willingness to forgive....

JD

Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #3

I will be doing all of the work. He will just be an adviser. I have never used a metal lathe before, so I can use the advice. I dont feel like I am doing anything wrong. If I do the paper work, and then do all of the actual work, who cares who is there with me watching over my shoulder? At least that is my opinion.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah dude, you've got to go with an off the shelf suppressor. This thread will be deleted if it continues to appear that you're doing something illegal.

It isn't a matter of who is doing the work. It's a matter of needing to have a manufacturer's license to make one yourself. You can't just DIY with a tax stamp.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #5

Right on. I talked about this with Dillinger about F/A stuff a while ago. You HAVE TO HAVE a manufacturer's license to make it, and you HAVE TO maintain that license annually or you HAVE TO destroy anything you've manufactured or transfer it to a L/E agency. A class 3 alone allows you to OWN a suppressor/FA/AOW, not make one. Set aside a few (okay, a lot) of hours and check out BATFE's site for a very thorough lawyer speak explanation. In the end it boils down to what Dillinger and Matt said right outta the gate: You can't make one legally w/ out a manufacturer's license and also abiding by the stipulations of that license. And opinions don't matter when you are indicted in Federal Court.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #6

In that case, i thank you all for setting me straight.
I guess the next question would be, which off the shelf supressor would you all recomend? I have looked at several different ones and they seem to vary in price from $400 to $1600.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #7

I wish I could offer some insight, but even as non-restrictive as Vermont laws are, we still can't own a suppressor. I have seen lately a lot of "new commers" to the market. Yankee Hill and Surefire are now marketing several models, along with Gem Tech, Bowers and AWC which seem to be pretty popular. From the little bit I have researched, there are a ton of options based on use, design (wet or dry) and baffle system. I never really looked into it since I can't have one. Good luck, and you're lucky to be in a state where you can.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 06-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
In that case, i thank you all for setting me straight.
I guess the next question would be, which off the shelf supressor would you all recomend? I have looked at several different ones and they seem to vary in price from $400 to $1600.
.223 right? For an AR? Or for a boltgun? I posted some pictures and a limited write up of an all inclusive AR upper that has a 10" barrel and an integrated suppressor. I don't believe it's on the market yet, but there are trial ones over in Afghanistan and supposedly one soldier has over 1,000 rounds through it without incident.

I guess I would need to know what your intent for it is. Do you need a wet can or would a dry one work? Wet cans are quieter, but they are a bit of a hassle. Dry cans are easier to own and maintain, but not as quiet.

Removable? Thread on or quik-connect?

Give me a little bit better idea what you are looking for and I would be glad to point you in the right direction...

Also, there is a fellow here named Mr. Clean. You might want to shoot him a PM because he has a WEALTH of knowledge about a lot of the available suppressors on the market. I believe he has owned, or tried, just about everything out there....

JD

Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #9

It would be for an AR. A dry can is what I have been looking at. I would just like to be able to shoot without hearing protection. At most, I would be predator hunting, so it does not have to be the most quiet one on the market. I am just looking for something that does work, easy to maintain, and does not cost as much as my AR.
Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #10

Here you go bro. Given your criteria, and what you want to achieve, here's my top couple picks:

AAC Ranger 2 MSRP $495. It's a thread on, but it doesn't offer all the fast attach stuff that is popular today.

AAC M4-1000 MSRP $595. This comes with a special muzzle break/flash supressor that you have to install, but once you do, this offers a Quick Disconnect Feature.

Yankee Hill Machine Phantom MSRP $535. This price includes their flash suppressor that also offers a Quick Disconnect Feature.

Now, those are NOT the best suppressors on the planet, but I have handled all three and I have shot two of them. They are very good, solid, sound suppressors that work. They won't break the bank and both companies stand behind their work.

Let me know what you think of those -

JD