Suppressor via Trust Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Suppressor via Trust Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Suppressor via Trust Question

I've finally got my NFA trust setup and now I'm ready to buy my first can. Obviously, I want all the paperwork to be correct when the form 4 is sent to the BATF so I have a couple of questions....

1) the local vendor that I plan to use has stated that they have no experience with transferring class 3 items to a trust but only to individiuals with CLEO signoffs. Therefore, from that perspective, what should I look for when we fill out the form4 ? Is the only difference is using the trust name instead of an indiviual name and everything else the same ?

2) Who actually completes the Certificate of Compliance (Form 5330-20) ? Is it the vendor or someone else ?

Thanks for all who responds as I'm lloking to move quickly on this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Banger,

You have it correct. No difference on the Form 4 just use the trust name and you, as the Settlor, execute the Form 4. And you also do the Cert of Compliance in the name of the trust. If you need assistance, just PM me and I can send you a redacted copy of the paperwork I filed back in late June on a G5 for my trust. Just do a single Cert and two original executed Form 4's and you are good to go. The dealer should/has to, fill out the Form 4 unless you know everything about his license (which is doubtful).

Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #3

I found a few sites when doing a trust for a customer.. Followed a sample and all went just fine.. Here's one site: http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form4.html also youtube has a few videos on completing the form.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #4

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I managed to figure out the form with my dealer who knew as much about it as I did. I sent it in with copies of every page of my trust and all of the supporting documents. It might be overkill but I don't want it coming back for lack of something.
The harder part was researching and producing the trust the way I wanted it. It the best way to go. I don't have to drive all over the county to get the paperwork done.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5648 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Most lawyers doing trusts dont even need to meet you in person. My friend in texas did it over the phone with a texas lawyer. Just supplied the info payed the fee and it showed up in the mail after some review by email.

If it does get bumped back its no biggee you dont go to the bottom of the stack. Yours just waits till the required info shows up. Only slows down by how long it takes the mail to get your addons to the nfa examiner

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a follow up question. The vendor told me that they mailed all the documents about a week and a half ago. I called the ATF and they have no record of the serial number of my suppressor being recieved yet. So, the question is... is this a normal time frame or should I be worried that something else is going on here. Thoughts ?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5648 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a follow up question. The vendor told me that they mailed all the documents about a week and a half ago. I called the ATF and they have no record of the serial number of my suppressor being recieved yet. So, the question is... is this a normal time frame or should I be worried that something else is going on here. Thoughts ?
wouldnt worry about it. the average wait atm is 9-12 months. if your on month 13 with no word from the dealer i would give him a call. NFA is all about the wait

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-22-2012, 03:00 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

My dealer did my trust for me. It is a simple revocable living trust with my older son as the successor trustee and both sons as beneficiaries. We completed the paperwork on March 13, the check was cashed on March 20 and I was approved on Sept 9. My dealer got my paperwork back on Sept 13 and I was on the road 5 minutes after his call, then brought it straight home and tried it out.
Frankly, I was surprised that it took less than 6 months after all I had heard and read on these forums.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My both cans took about an exactly 6 months from the date my checks were cashed.
Check out nfatracker.com so you will have an idea how long does your state NFA examiner take to do the job.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #10

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Mine was 7 months but I had to send in a correction. The backlog is getting cleaned up so 9-13 months means you have a problem. It can take two weeks for check cashing and a month or more to move to pending. I think it has to get to pending before the BATF will have record if your serial number.
The whole process is due to go electronic in November but you know how government estimates are..,