Suppressor requirements?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Suppressor requirements?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 57
Likes Given: 1

Default Suppressor requirements?

I would like to get a suppressor but I am under 21. Is there any legal way to be able to use one without the of age owner present? I am just wondering if there is a way to get around it, kind of like how the handgun law works. You have to be 21 to buy it but you can be 18 and carry it. Is there anything like that pertaining to suppressors?
Thanks, Lucas H.

__________________
Carry to Protect
Protect your right to Carry
Hlander is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 18,098
Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlander View Post
I would like to get a suppressor but I am under 21. Is there any legal way to be able to use one without the of age owner present? I am just wondering if there is a way to get around it, kind of like how the handgun law works. You have to be 21 to buy it but you can be 18 and carry it. Is there anything like that pertaining to suppressors?
Thanks, Lucas H.
no back doors. you got 3 more years. try and cut corners with nfa items and they WILL remove your right to own firearms permanently. better to wait your time for 3 years then never get one
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 57
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
no back doors. you got 3 more years. try and cut corners with nfa items and they WILL remove your right to own firearms permanently. better to wait your time for 3 years then never get one
Thank you for the info. I was not going to break the law, I just wanted to be informed of what the law is. Would I be allowed to shoot it if my father purchased it and was present while I did so?
__________________
Carry to Protect
Protect your right to Carry
Hlander is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 18,098
Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlander View Post
Thank you for the info. I was not going to break the law, I just wanted to be informed of what the law is. Would I be allowed to shoot it if my father purchased it and was present while I did so?
Yes. Depending on your state law he can make you a beneficiary on his trust if you go that route. Then when you come of age he can move you to trustee and there is no extra paperwork other than changing the trust wording. But you need to consult a nfa attourney in your state.

I know that in texas it is legal to put minor children on nfa trusts for inheritence. Still would need a trustee present to use the item but you would already be on the paperwork and the six month plus wait would be long since done by the time you hit legal age.

Again consult a nfa attourney. No one here is a good source for legal advice
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 57
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yes. Depending on your state law he can make you a beneficiary on his trust if you go that route. Then when you come of age he can move you to trustee and there is no extra paperwork other than changing the trust wording. But you need to consult a nfa attourney in your state.

I know that in texas it is legal to put minor children on nfa trusts for inheritence. Still would need a trustee present to use the item but you would already be on the paperwork and the six month plus wait would be long since done by the time you hit legal age.

Again consult a nfa attourney. No one here is a good source for legal advice
Alright, I will have to look up an attorney. Thank you for your time.
__________________
Carry to Protect
Protect your right to Carry
Hlander is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Which rifle will best satisfy my survival requirements. Or are my requirements crap? package81 General Rifle Discussion 137 01-20-2014 06:18 PM
FFL requirements grady202 NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 9 12-16-2011 06:45 PM
CCW requirements in PA? REDMIST89 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 12 09-08-2011 11:00 PM
Permit requirements (opinions please) rimfirerukus Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 28 07-24-2011 03:38 PM