Suppressor requirements?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Suppressor requirements?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Suppressor requirements?

I would like to get a suppressor but I am under 21. Is there any legal way to be able to use one without the of age owner present? I am just wondering if there is a way to get around it, kind of like how the handgun law works. You have to be 21 to buy it but you can be 18 and carry it. Is there anything like that pertaining to suppressors?
Thanks, Lucas H.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlander View Post
I would like to get a suppressor but I am under 21. Is there any legal way to be able to use one without the of age owner present? I am just wondering if there is a way to get around it, kind of like how the handgun law works. You have to be 21 to buy it but you can be 18 and carry it. Is there anything like that pertaining to suppressors?
Thanks, Lucas H.
no back doors. you got 3 more years. try and cut corners with nfa items and they WILL remove your right to own firearms permanently. better to wait your time for 3 years then never get one

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
no back doors. you got 3 more years. try and cut corners with nfa items and they WILL remove your right to own firearms permanently. better to wait your time for 3 years then never get one
Thank you for the info. I was not going to break the law, I just wanted to be informed of what the law is. Would I be allowed to shoot it if my father purchased it and was present while I did so?

Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlander View Post
Thank you for the info. I was not going to break the law, I just wanted to be informed of what the law is. Would I be allowed to shoot it if my father purchased it and was present while I did so?
Yes. Depending on your state law he can make you a beneficiary on his trust if you go that route. Then when you come of age he can move you to trustee and there is no extra paperwork other than changing the trust wording. But you need to consult a nfa attourney in your state.

I know that in texas it is legal to put minor children on nfa trusts for inheritence. Still would need a trustee present to use the item but you would already be on the paperwork and the six month plus wait would be long since done by the time you hit legal age.

Again consult a nfa attourney. No one here is a good source for legal advice

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yes. Depending on your state law he can make you a beneficiary on his trust if you go that route. Then when you come of age he can move you to trustee and there is no extra paperwork other than changing the trust wording. But you need to consult a nfa attourney in your state.

I know that in texas it is legal to put minor children on nfa trusts for inheritence. Still would need a trustee present to use the item but you would already be on the paperwork and the six month plus wait would be long since done by the time you hit legal age.

Again consult a nfa attourney. No one here is a good source for legal advice
Alright, I will have to look up an attorney. Thank you for your time.