Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Suppressor requirements? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/suppressor-requirements-58703/)

Hlander 02-24-2012 11:32 PM

Suppressor requirements?

I would like to get a suppressor but I am under 21. Is there any legal way to be able to use one without the of age owner present? I am just wondering if there is a way to get around it, kind of like how the handgun law works. You have to be 21 to buy it but you can be 18 and carry it. Is there anything like that pertaining to suppressors?
Thanks, Lucas H.

JonM 02-24-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hlander (Post 719392)
I would like to get a suppressor but I am under 21. Is there any legal way to be able to use one without the of age owner present? I am just wondering if there is a way to get around it, kind of like how the handgun law works. You have to be 21 to buy it but you can be 18 and carry it. Is there anything like that pertaining to suppressors?
Thanks, Lucas H.

no back doors. you got 3 more years. try and cut corners with nfa items and they WILL remove your right to own firearms permanently. better to wait your time for 3 years then never get one

Hlander 02-25-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 719409)
no back doors. you got 3 more years. try and cut corners with nfa items and they WILL remove your right to own firearms permanently. better to wait your time for 3 years then never get one

Thank you for the info. I was not going to break the law, I just wanted to be informed of what the law is. Would I be allowed to shoot it if my father purchased it and was present while I did so?

JonM 02-25-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hlander (Post 719827)
Thank you for the info. I was not going to break the law, I just wanted to be informed of what the law is. Would I be allowed to shoot it if my father purchased it and was present while I did so?

Yes. Depending on your state law he can make you a beneficiary on his trust if you go that route. Then when you come of age he can move you to trustee and there is no extra paperwork other than changing the trust wording. But you need to consult a nfa attourney in your state.

I know that in texas it is legal to put minor children on nfa trusts for inheritence. Still would need a trustee present to use the item but you would already be on the paperwork and the six month plus wait would be long since done by the time you hit legal age.

Again consult a nfa attourney. No one here is a good source for legal advice

Hlander 02-25-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 719837)
Yes. Depending on your state law he can make you a beneficiary on his trust if you go that route. Then when you come of age he can move you to trustee and there is no extra paperwork other than changing the trust wording. But you need to consult a nfa attourney in your state.

I know that in texas it is legal to put minor children on nfa trusts for inheritence. Still would need a trustee present to use the item but you would already be on the paperwork and the six month plus wait would be long since done by the time you hit legal age.

Again consult a nfa attourney. No one here is a good source for legal advice

Alright, I will have to look up an attorney. Thank you for your time.