Suppressor Refinishing - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

Suppressor Refinishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71
Looks like a perfect excuse for some Duracoat shake-n-spray! Cheap, easy, and will last just fine on that can. Should be no problem getting the right color either.
Exactly right!!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Sorry about the can, I know exactly how you feel. I like to keep my things looking perfect as well.

Shake and spray duracoat works very well! For Duracoat or Cerakote get the high temp versions or it may discolor after some use (not so much with darker colors though).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #13

Just received my can back today. UPS left it on my front door. As i live close from work so i quickly rushed to home during work. I fear it might get lost or something, it's a suppressor with 6 months wait, hell no i ever want it got lost or stolen.
I sent it to johnnorrellarms.com for refinishing. John used Moly Resin coating for his work. He quoted me for $45 including return shipping with insurance. I sent it to him on 11/10 by Priority Mail with insurance of $800, so shipping to him costed me $17ish.
All i can say is WOW.. he did a damn good job. My can looks much better than it was brand new. I was hesitating what color to be painted and John chose "Semi Gloss Black". I'm glad he chose the color on my behalf.
I can't see the old burnt glove marks and scratches neither discoloration from the old paint. It really looks sick and shiny as it's semi gloss.
I highly recommend his professional service and most importantly decent price. This costed me $62 including both way shippings included insurances. Next i'll use his service to refinish my AR15 stripped lowers. Much cheaper than YHM quoted me for $200 for the can refinishing.
Sorry for the not so clear pics as i took them with my phone. I just couldn't wait to share my happiness. Lol
forumrunner_20121127_143936.jpg   forumrunner_20121127_143948.jpg  

Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

My gotos for such things are acetone and denatured alcohol. Dont mix em btw. Acetone is harsher and will strip some paints i mainly use it as a degreaser for cleaning screws and screw holes so locktite will stick better. Just for future reference.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #15

What about Hoppes #9 & Break Free? I use them all the time and never a single problems. Just wondering if they are safe on this Moly Resin. I'll email John today too.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

prolly fine to use. breakfree wont harm any finish
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #17

Yes John just replied my email. He has yet to find any chemicals which are unsafe to it.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #18

Liked 99 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Get a "TAB suppressor anti-mirage shield"
copied from website
protects you, your can, and your equipment. Designed to prevent mirage from obscuring your site picture after multiple shots. Eliminating mirage is accomplished by the use of insulating materials - your can heats up, but the SAS stays cool. The outer shell of the the TAB SAS will not heat up so your equipment and person will not become damaged with accidental or intentional contact. Removal and handling of your can, while inside the TAB SAS, immediately after firing is possible due to the high quality insulating materials used in the construction.