Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Suppressor Recomendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1331 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 653

On a semi-auto like AR, other variables exist. The AR is a crappy host, in my opinion. A bolt action rifle would show the true grade of suppression. But for practical purposes, noted, thank you.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #12

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I have a YHM waiting for a stamp. I like their QD and light weight option but they don't perform as well as others.

The Specwar and likely the new Saker 308 perform very well and have great QD options as well as stellar customer service.

308 cans work very well on smaller calibers. The higher volumes help a lot.

I've never seen the appeal of the Surefire cans. They are twice the price of most quality cans and are no better. Just look at independent metering tests.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5120 Times on 2666 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
I have a YHM waiting for a stamp. I like their QD and light weight option but they don't perform as well as others.

The Specwar and likely the new Saker 308 perform very well and have great QD options as well as stellar customer service.

308 cans work very well on smaller calibers. The higher volumes help a lot.

I've never seen the appeal of the Surefire cans. They are twice the price of most quality cans and are no better. Just look at independent metering tests.
i didnt buy it because of its sound abilities but repeatable return to zero and predictable poi shift on continous mount dismount cycles. long as a can has baffles and internal volume the ammount of suppression is going to be good enough for what i want.

mine is also the more durable version which is machine gun rated for sustained fire. nother reason i went with what i did.

surefire muzzle devices are also better than any other out there which is a huge plus for running unsupressed.

if i was buying a can to leave on one gun and didnt mind rezeroing each time i removed it i would have gone with a cheaper model.

chose it for a lot of reasons none of which had anything to do with suppression noise reduction levels. just depends on what you perceive as important to you which is why forums are so fun. you get lots of opinions on things you might not have thought of.

when i bought mine the saker wasnt known about. i dont know of any repeatable poi shift testing with the saker 308 atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
On a semi-auto like AR, other variables exist. The AR is a crappy host, in my opinion. A bolt action rifle would show the true grade of suppression. But for practical purposes, noted, thank you.
indeed it is. ak47 are even worse for suppression. saw a guy violently dissasemble a can once with a ak47. very loud shots then the last one was REALLLLLLLY loud with shrapnel. heh. ak barrels, the bores are usually are not concentric to the line of the barrel so making concentric threads doesnt really help much.

the scar isnt bad. its loud but its hearing safe. i was really surprised at just how loud a ar15 is when supressed. im not sure they are hearing safe when under cover.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-29-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default Suppressor Recomendations

Well I obviously have some reading/research to do. I just want to get one before the King tries to make them illegal again. That or SBR. Or a precision build. I can't for the life of me decide WTF to do next. Something is gonna get added to the collection. What that will be only time will tell.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5120 Times on 2666 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Well I obviously have some reading/research to do. I just want to get one before the King tries to make them illegal again. That or SBR. Or a precision build. I can't for the life of me decide WTF to do next. Something is gonna get added to the collection. What that will be only time will tell.
Yes you do.

Picking a suppressor isn't something to take likely since they have zero resale value. Get what works for your expected need.

The reason they don't resale isn't because its illegal but the folks willing to pay the tax and wait plus transfer fees if your selling cross state lines through a ffl will want a new one vs a used with an unknown ammount of wear.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I went with the YHM 762 titanium QD. I went with it because it had a mount for my M1a.
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1391481696.398044.jpg
I use it on my AR and my SCAR 16s. It is 15 oz and that is one main reason I got it. I have not noticed any point of shift on those. My M1a scope mount would not stop moving on me so I had to get a new one. Have not zeroed it back to test point of shift.
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1391481938.171223.jpg
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1391481975.860630.jpg
So far I have been happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Decided to build a Mk12 instead. Douglas Barrel is on the way. Saving now for a AEM 5 Suppressor. Apparently the same company that Manufactured the Ops Inc model 12

If guns kill people, mine are defective.