Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   suppressor opinions please (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/suppressor-opinions-please-91654/)

cakesterkiller 06-02-2013 09:36 PM

suppressor opinions please

i know this is probably the wrong area for this post but seeing as my ar is what I want suppressed I posted it here :)

please everybody that knows what's up let me know everything you can about real world suppressor use. my LGS is getting his class 3 suppressor and SBR license in a month... so if i hurry i can get what I want by Christmas.... an 11" upper with can :)

the problem is I only know I want one and they're expensive... other than that im in the dark about the background check (state, federal... ect) best brands, mounting options (id also like to put it on my bolt action .223) actual sound damping compared to company claims and pretty much everything else

please educate me

MisterMcCool 06-02-2013 10:37 PM

I know in addition to the cost of the suppressor, there will also be a $200 NFA transfer fee.
The dealer should help you obtain an NFA trust; an additional cost.
I suppose you could have both rifles threaded alike to make it transferrable; another cost.
The moderators will probably move this thread to the class III section where people will know more about it.

SSGN_Doc 06-02-2013 10:59 PM

$200 to register your receiver as a SBR and $200 for the suppressor.

A buddy of mine started with a .22 suppressor for his pistol, then threaded his 10/22. Then went with an SBR registration for one of his lowers. That was followed by a 9mm upper with dedicated built in suppression on a 11" barrel.
That was followed by a 5.56 suppressor, then a suppressor for his 9mm pistols.

Once you go down the path it's easy to get hooked.

He has suppressors from AAC and YHM. He says he probably would skip the 5.56 suppressor if he had it to do over again. Supersonic bullets are still fairly noisy. His .22 and 9mm suppressors with subsonic ammo are very quiet, and his 5.56 is at least hearing safe without ear protection, but you still know a gun went off.

c3shooter 06-02-2013 11:11 PM

Legal stuff (Am not a lawyer) You must be 21 yrs old to buy a suppressor. Dealer should help you ith paperork. Same as if you were buying a full auto. You need the BATF application, prints, approval from local chief law enforcment officer, and a $200 one time transfer tax. If you set up a qualified legal trust that owns the suppressor, can skip pints and local LEO approval. Dealer should know if your STATE has hoops to jump thru.

Physics- noise comes from 3 sources- muzzle blast from expanding gasses, supersonic CRACK of bullet, and action of gun cycling. A suppressor REDUCES noise from muzzle blast, does nothing for other sounds. Please go witness a .223 with a suppressor being fired- afraid you may be disappointed. 9mm subsonic, 22 LR, and .45 ACP are MUCH quieter.

Brands- there are a lot. Talk with dealer, do some reading. Prices are not all THAT high.

And yes, will move thread over to NFA section.

JonM 06-03-2013 03:06 AM

if your going to suppress a 223/556 get a 308 suppressor. top brands are silencerco, awc, aac, gemtech (support not the best), and surefire.

i own a surefire in 308 that i use on my ar15's works awesome. some research needs to be done since not all suppressor cross adapt to different thread patterns. the quick detach suppressor are very versatile in cross platform swapping HIGHLY recomend that route over the screw ons for center fire rifle.

the reason 308 cans work better on 556/223 than 556/223 cans is because the 308 cans have more internal volume.

the main benefit for using a supressor on a semi auto rifle is you eliminate that concussive blast. my wife's 308 savage goes from hearing not safe to quieter than a 22LR and hearing safe.

when i use it on my scar17 you still need hearing protection when shooting in a covered area like a firing line on a range but its very doable outdoors.

i wouldnt worry about the different claims of each manufacturer since you cannot honestly tell the diff without specialized measuring gear. what is MORE important is the various features and abilities of each suppressor. for example if you plain on swapping a lot and want repeatable poi shift and the ability to shoot many many many rounds fast... QD suppressors rated for machine gun use are preffered.

cakesterkiller 06-03-2013 03:12 AM

thanks c3 i posted in the AR section just cause that's mostly where I hang out... im not so much wanting it to make the rifle silent I just wanna cut the initial muzzle crack so that i can take it out coyote hunting (im in Colorado so is legal here.... at the moment) it would also serve a second purpose as home defense (not worried about over penetration where i live)

what does everybody think of surefire? worth the money? I've only seen a couple brands online

JonM 06-03-2013 04:24 AM

surefire are excellent sound suppressors.

their marketing is pretty harsh when it comes to vendors stocking them but the product and support are top notch.

i love mine.

cakesterkiller 06-03-2013 05:03 AM

do I need to get a dedicated lower for the SBR? or can I just swap uppers back and fourth... also what kind of gas system would be more reliable? I've heard the short barrels sometimes don't generate enough back pressure to cycle the bolt carrier... DI or piston?

MisterMcCool 06-03-2013 05:05 AM

The registered, SBR lower would be the only one you could legally mount the upper on.

cakesterkiller 06-05-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1266093)
The registered, SBR lower would be the only one you could legally mount the upper on.

can I register the lower i already have? if it's registered as an SBR can I put a 16" upper back on it afterwards