Suppressor barrel adapters
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Suppressor barrel adapters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default Suppressor barrel adapters

where are adapters ordered from to switch a suppressor from a bolt action, Savage .308 barrel thread to a, semi auto, Sig 7.62 barrelt thread? Obviously I wanna be able to use the same suppressor for both rifles.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Um.

Are both your barrels threaded?

Do you know if the threads match?

Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #3

Default suppressor adapter

Yes, both rifles have threaded barrels. The Savage already is fitted to the suppressor. Once the muzzle brake is removed from the Sig, it's exposed threads hopefully will accept the adapters threads and I'll have my work finished. You have any suggestions where to shop. I googled the suppressor shop or silencer shop. lot of dealers out there. So far, the adapter I've seen are $50.00. That's crazy, same part, under any other name, would cost .99cents. I will look to see what I can find that'll work and not rob my pocket book. Thanks for your reply

Old 10-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5504 Times on 2873 Posts
Likes Given: 357

the reason adapters are pricey is you cant just take any old hunk of pipe and toss some threads on it to make one. the threading has to be concentricly centered and squared on the axis of the bore. if its off a little you blow up your supressor with baffle strikes possibly injuring yourself or others.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #5

I can see where precision is a major factor in the production of parts. I'd never consider using a piece of pipe junk or any other "shoddy" part for firearms. Still, the price seems "high" at $50.00. If same part can cost $40.00 somewhere else. Oh well, I have been shooting over 45years, I know this hobby isn't inexpensive. thanks for reply

Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recommend buying the adapter from the manufacturer. They cost more, but how much would it cost to replace the can in the event of a misstep?
Use the right parts for the job, not just what will work. You are working with very dangerous pressures, and a failure could be catastrophic and cause serious injuries.

The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #7

I'm looking more for the name of some "trusted vendors" rather than advice on not buying shoddy,cheap parts or warnings to beware on my firearm. I thought my initial question was clear. I have over 45years experience with firearms and that's enough experience to know that I'll always learn more. I appreciate all the replies and advice.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #8

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Get a hold of Dorthy from the Bowers Group (you can find them on FB) and she may be able to help. Oh and tell her Tony sent you.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

paul Likes This 
Old 10-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5504 Times on 2873 Posts
Likes Given: 357

i was taking it to mean why should i buy a pricey part when a cheap 90 cent will do. was just giving a complete answer. see above for sources of parts

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

paul Likes This 
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #10

I'm appreciative of all courteous, prompt replies. Hope I wasn't abrasive earlier about comments I've gotten, both privately sent and on the forum page. All responses that may benefit folks are just good to reading too.