Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Suppressor barrel adapters (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/suppressor-barrel-adapters-75054/)

paul 10-26-2012 12:49 AM

Suppressor barrel adapters

where are adapters ordered from to switch a suppressor from a bolt action, Savage .308 barrel thread to a, semi auto, Sig 7.62 barrelt thread? Obviously I wanna be able to use the same suppressor for both rifles.

Dillinger 10-26-2012 01:49 AM

Um. :confused:

Are both your barrels threaded?

Do you know if the threads match?

paul 10-26-2012 02:15 AM

suppressor adapter

Yes, both rifles have threaded barrels. The Savage already is fitted to the suppressor. Once the muzzle brake is removed from the Sig, it's exposed threads hopefully will accept the adapters threads and I'll have my work finished. You have any suggestions where to shop. I googled the suppressor shop or silencer shop. lot of dealers out there. So far, the adapter I've seen are $50.00. That's crazy, same part, under any other name, would cost .99cents. I will look to see what I can find that'll work and not rob my pocket book. Thanks for your reply

JonM 10-26-2012 02:28 AM

the reason adapters are pricey is you cant just take any old hunk of pipe and toss some threads on it to make one. the threading has to be concentricly centered and squared on the axis of the bore. if its off a little you blow up your supressor with baffle strikes possibly injuring yourself or others.

paul 10-26-2012 03:14 AM

suppressor adapter

I can see where precision is a major factor in the production of parts. I'd never consider using a piece of pipe junk or any other "shoddy" part for firearms. Still, the price seems "high" at $50.00. If same part can cost $40.00 somewhere else. Oh well, I have been shooting over 45years, I know this hobby isn't inexpensive. thanks for reply

IXLR8 10-26-2012 10:57 AM

I recommend buying the adapter from the manufacturer. They cost more, but how much would it cost to replace the can in the event of a misstep?
Use the right parts for the job, not just what will work. You are working with very dangerous pressures, and a failure could be catastrophic and cause serious injuries.

paul 10-26-2012 02:30 PM

suppressor adapter

I'm looking more for the name of some "trusted vendors" rather than advice on not buying shoddy,cheap parts or warnings to beware on my firearm. I thought my initial question was clear. I have over 45years experience with firearms and that's enough experience to know that I'll always learn more. I appreciate all the replies and advice.

silverado113 10-26-2012 02:41 PM

Get a hold of Dorthy from the Bowers Group (you can find them on FB) and she may be able to help. Oh and tell her Tony sent you.

JonM 10-26-2012 02:59 PM

i was taking it to mean why should i buy a pricey part when a cheap 90 cent will do. was just giving a complete answer. see above for sources of parts :)

paul 10-26-2012 06:30 PM

suppressor adapter

I'm appreciative of all courteous, prompt replies. Hope I wasn't abrasive earlier about comments I've gotten, both privately sent and on the forum page. All responses that may benefit folks are just good to reading too. :)