Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > special 9mm ammo to run a full auto MP5? seriously

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Gotta love those 'special' rounds!

This may derive from the old firearms myth of 'submachinegun' ammo in the early to mid 20th Century. The idea the German Army made special 'submachinegun' 9mm Parabellum ammunition that would damage handguns. Drum Junkie scored well with his observations about 'special rounds'.

It may also derive from an Italian round. The 9mm Glisenti pistol (1910 or so) was chambered for a round of the same name; the round was dimensionally identical with 9mm Parabellum, but the pressure level was closer to that of .380 ACP. Drum Junkie's logistical horror on toast.

It may have something to do with the MP5 SD (with factory fitted suppressor). In order to take advantage of the suppressor, sub-sonic ammunition - 'special' ammunition - can be used to avoid the 'crack' of super-sonic rounds.

In the same field, the British found that 9mm Parabellum ammunition made in the U. S. WAS dangerous to use in British Sten submachineguns. No, it wasn't too powerful, it was loaded too lightly to reliable recoil the bolt far enough to catch on the sear when the trigger was released; one trigger pull and the whole magazine fired. I suppose it wouldn't take long, but a runaway gun is always disconcerting.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #12

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I couldnt even believe it. Talking to a guy last night that tries to tell me, you need special higher pressure 9mm ammo to make a mp5 run right in full auto . I didnt say anything and just went with it but is this guy looking for a kaboom. Proceded to say all f/a ammo is different . The guy shoots competitively , loads all his own ammo but to have this come out of his mouth . Wow just wow
There has been and still is available special +P+ 9mm manufactured in Israel. I bought a case of it a couple of years ago and its pretty hot stuff. It fired ok in the our UZI, but it ran away in semi mode in the S&W 76 until I replaced the stock spring for a much stiffer one. Than it ran like a charm.

So you could say "This is special subgun ammo".

Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #13

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Im no know it all but I know 9mm runs in the 44000-46000 psi on case pressure he was talking crazily about 124000-160000 psi for a 9mm f/a cartridge . could you even squeeze in enough powder to get to those kind of pressures ? I mean damn if you wanna read and flap your gums about stuff you dont know about, at least go hit google or wipipedia first. I see a big azzz KABOOM in his future
HOLY ****!!! Is this guy stupid??? Those are some rediculous pressures!!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #14

Liked 348 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
There has been and still is available special +P+ 9mm manufactured in Israel. I bought a case of it a couple of years ago and its pretty hot stuff. It fired ok in the our UZI, but it ran away in semi mode in the S&W 76 until I replaced the stock spring for a much stiffer one. Than it ran like a charm.

So you could say "This is special subgun ammo".

Just got rid of a can of IMI 9mm Carbine ammo today.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 932 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 381

I think the guy was referring to 9MM NATO ammo. It's loaded hotter than SAAMI spec, but there's no SAAMI standard for 9MM +P+ ammunition, hence the varying velocities and pressures from manufacturers who claim to make such ammunition. The MP5 was designed to run NATO ammunition, so it should work just fine with NATO ammunition.

Running the gun with ammo loaded to more than twice the pressure of a 9MM proof load is a good way to destroy the gun and/or injure yourself. I hope for his sake that he simply misspoke about the matter and didn't actually do that.

DO NOT reload using a faster (edit - slower burning, not faster burning) burning powder to attempt to replicate those pressures. You'd likely have problems with the cartridge casing and primer. I would expect case head separation at that pressure. The 9MM NATO brass casings were simply not designed for that kind of pressure and I'm not sure what your guy's deal is but that information is bad.

Last edited by kbd512; 04-04-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1602 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 788

In the 60's I bought several hundred rounds of 9 labeled 'for sub-machine gun use only'. I ask around about it (Al Gore had not yet invented the internet) and from what I learned it was higher pressure and no one had any 'real' info about it. I shot it all through my 9 mm star without any problem, and reloaded it.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #17

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Think he's referirng to Nato spec 9mm parabellum. Its a hotter than standard commercial stuff. As for his blanket statement, I'm thinking he's full of sh@t.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #18

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

PS don't stand next to him at the range.......don't be at the range if he's there if you can help it.......

Old 04-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #19

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

So what kinda muzzle velocity was the guy getting with that much pressure? Lol

Isn’t some of the surplus from former com-block countries sub-gun only? I think it has a harder primer or something. I cant afford a full auto and have never bought any of this ammo so I’ve never really looked into it that much

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #20

I've just gotten into reloading, but it would make sense that a pistol round could be made special for a carbine weapon. Instead of a fast, high pressure powder, it would make more sense to use a medium rate powder to take full advantage of the longer barrel. A round like this would work well in a carbine, but not so well in a pistol. Does this mean that manufacturers did this...I don't know, but it would make a lot of sense.