Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Sons of guns made a Benelli M4 shotgun full auto on new episode

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Sons of guns made a Benelli M4 shotgun full auto on new episode

So my wife and I were watching the new episode of Sons of Guns tonight and they converted a Benelli M4 semiautomatic shotgun to fullauto. I thought it was illegal to manufacture any new full automatic weapons. Am I right or did I misunderstand the 1986 rule.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19790 Times on 11235 Posts
Likes Given: 49869

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
So my wife and I were watching the new episode of Sons of Guns tonight and they converted a Benelli M4 semiautomatic shotgun to fullauto. I thought it was illegal to manufacture any new full automatic weapons. Am I right or did I misunderstand the 1986 rule.
IIRC, if they have the proper FFL's and are only selling to LE or the military, i think it's legal. the 1986 law only applies to civilians.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #3

They were made for a civilian 3Gun competition participant.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
They were made for a civilian 3Gun competition participant.
not for sure, but doesn't sound legal to me, unless he's in LE or the military. if not, hmmmmmm.............

maybe someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

What exactly is the point of a fully automatic shotgun that can only hold 6-8 rounds?

If they made it for LEO/Military, it's legal. If they made it for the civilian market, it's illegal. Was the participant in the three gun competition an LEO/Military?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

As far as I know the guy is not LEO and definitely not military. I've seen him in some of the 3 gun competitions and never once has he said he is in Law Enforcement during interviews. I will attempt some further research. should not be hard since he is a member of Team Benelli.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #7

The guys name is Taran Butler and everything I found on Benelli's website, his personal webpage and wikipedia shows that while he has LEO connections he is not and never has been LEO or Military

Old 04-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
The guys name is Taran Butler and everything I found on Benelli's website, his personal webpage and wikipedia shows that while he has LEO connections he is not and never has been LEO or Military
unless a shotgun has some special exclusion to the FA ruling, which i doubt, i can't see it being legal for him to own.

BATF definition of FA is more than one shot fired per trigger pull.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

The issue will be (a) manufacturing a destructive device/ full auto. and (b) transfer of ownership of said weapon.

You can only manufacture when you have FFL as a Manufacturer, with the SOT to make the Class III NFA firearms. As far as (b), was ownership of the gun transferred? To who? As a Manufacturer, they can only transfer ownership to (1) a military agency, (2) a law enforcement agency, (3) to another FFL with the correct licenses/ SOTs. or (4) export it out of the US for legal sale abroad.

WAS there a transfer of ownership- or did the shooter shoot it in the presence of the Sons of Guns staff? If he works for Benelli, was it transferred to Benelli- who IS a FFL holder? etc etc. Bottom line- there is a lot you do not see with TV shows.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #10

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

All for show I bet.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.