Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Sons of guns made a Benelli M4 shotgun full auto on new episode (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/sons-guns-made-benelli-m4-shotgun-full-auto-new-episode-89659/)

MTHunter 04-27-2013 08:33 AM

Sons of guns made a Benelli M4 shotgun full auto on new episode

So my wife and I were watching the new episode of Sons of Guns tonight and they converted a Benelli M4 semiautomatic shotgun to fullauto. I thought it was illegal to manufacture any new full automatic weapons. Am I right or did I misunderstand the 1986 rule.

Axxe55 04-27-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTHunter (Post 1228593)
So my wife and I were watching the new episode of Sons of Guns tonight and they converted a Benelli M4 semiautomatic shotgun to fullauto. I thought it was illegal to manufacture any new full automatic weapons. Am I right or did I misunderstand the 1986 rule.

IIRC, if they have the proper FFL's and are only selling to LE or the military, i think it's legal. the 1986 law only applies to civilians.

MTHunter 04-27-2013 08:45 AM

They were made for a civilian 3Gun competition participant.

Axxe55 04-27-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTHunter (Post 1228600)
They were made for a civilian 3Gun competition participant.

not for sure, but doesn't sound legal to me, unless he's in LE or the military. if not, hmmmmmm.............

maybe someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

texaswoodworker 04-27-2013 08:58 AM

What exactly is the point of a fully automatic shotgun that can only hold 6-8 rounds?

If they made it for LEO/Military, it's legal. If they made it for the civilian market, it's illegal. Was the participant in the three gun competition an LEO/Military?

MTHunter 04-27-2013 09:17 AM

As far as I know the guy is not LEO and definitely not military. I've seen him in some of the 3 gun competitions and never once has he said he is in Law Enforcement during interviews. I will attempt some further research. should not be hard since he is a member of Team Benelli.

MTHunter 04-27-2013 09:23 AM

The guys name is Taran Butler and everything I found on Benelli's website, his personal webpage and wikipedia shows that while he has LEO connections he is not and never has been LEO or Military

Axxe55 04-27-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTHunter (Post 1228616)
The guys name is Taran Butler and everything I found on Benelli's website, his personal webpage and wikipedia shows that while he has LEO connections he is not and never has been LEO or Military

unless a shotgun has some special exclusion to the FA ruling, which i doubt, i can't see it being legal for him to own.

BATF definition of FA is more than one shot fired per trigger pull.

c3shooter 04-27-2013 10:03 AM

The issue will be (a) manufacturing a destructive device/ full auto. and (b) transfer of ownership of said weapon.

You can only manufacture when you have FFL as a Manufacturer, with the SOT to make the Class III NFA firearms. As far as (b), was ownership of the gun transferred? To who? As a Manufacturer, they can only transfer ownership to (1) a military agency, (2) a law enforcement agency, (3) to another FFL with the correct licenses/ SOTs. or (4) export it out of the US for legal sale abroad.

WAS there a transfer of ownership- or did the shooter shoot it in the presence of the Sons of Guns staff? If he works for Benelli, was it transferred to Benelli- who IS a FFL holder? etc etc. Bottom line- there is a lot you do not see with TV shows.

kytowboater 04-27-2013 11:10 AM

All for show I bet.