So I have decided to take the plunge and get my FFL.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > So I have decided to take the plunge and get my FFL.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default So I have decided to take the plunge and get my FFL.

As of the first of the year I am planning on starting my own home business. I just want to know the best order of things to apply for my FFL.

1. Final approval from wife.
I fear her more then the ATF

2. City business license

3. Tax ID #

4. Apply for FFL with ATF.

5. Send letter to city Leo

6. Wait

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8882 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Somewhere in the early stages, documentation that your LOCATION meets zoning requirements. Biggy for home based business (if you plan to have home based) AND- insurance? Incorporate? Would make sure I did the last two. By insurance, I mean business liability insurance. When someone buys a surplus SKS, does not clean the grease out of the FP channel, gets a 10 rd slam fire, shooting two fellow shooters, you will be glad that your insurance company pays for your defense in the civil suit.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If the city issues a business license for my gun business. Would the zoning issue be part of that? Will Internet attorney Inc. Filing be enuf

Old 12-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #4

When you apply for the business license, part of the fee is to check your zoning. The Chief of police and or the Fire Chief may want to inspect. Mine did.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 AM   #5

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Ffl

First of all good luck. You will need to create a business name and register it with the state before you can do anything else. Very often a home business doesn't need to get a business license, but if there is a homeowner association involved you will need the permission. It's unlikely you will have an issue with that unless you plan on having a store front. If you haven't done so, you can get the forms from the BATF online to start the process. It's free, but being a government agency it's predictably slow. But understand that the BATF has no problem with a home based business as long as you meet the criteria. That information will come with your FFL package.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:13 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You'll need to get your incorporation together before you apply, it can be very difficult to change from sole prop to llc

Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I set up an LLC. got an EIN#. filled out my app called the ATF twice to ask dumb questions. and mailed it off. I am going to wait on the city permit untill the ATF tells me I have to. i figure that can be in my 30 day window and the city deal is online.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #8

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default City permit

It's highly unlikely the ATF will have any involvement at all in you getting a permit. It's just not part of their jurisdiction. Besides, the ATF allows home based FFL services so it's not really a concern of theirs. You still need to follow the rules of course, but as long as securing the firearms is provided and accutrate bookkeeping is done the ATF will be satisfied. Good luck to you.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #9

On my app an ATF agent came by to inspect the premise and go over my application to make sure all local laws were followed (Business License) before he would check it off and submit for final approval. If you want to avoid a pretty lengthy delay you should have all this done before the inspection.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #10

Good luck with it. I'm gonna turn mine in when it expires this term. Headakes, always wondering what new revisions atf is gonna do, etc.
Wit hall the feesd, lic's, insurance, etc. & not wanting to charge people large fees, It just isnt worth it for me anymore. But I am GLAD to see others tasking the plunge..

David