Silencers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Silencers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Silencers

Know all the things and such you have to go through to get a silencer, but after you buy it can the county boys come up to your house and say you have to show it to them? I really need some answers and proof. I can't find anywhere that it says they can but I'm not good at finding stuff, so can anyone help?

you arent ready to live until your ready to die

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Only a batfe agent may demand proof. That proof is in the form of a tax stamp attached to your registration form. Since its a tax document only the taxing agency has a right to see it.

It is bad practice however to not show it to leo if asked while using your nfa item. Since that often leads to confiscation and a garunteed meeting with the batfe.

Since this legal advice im suggesting you contact an actual nfa familiar attourney.

Theydont just knock on your any old time. The interweb genius have confused how the batfe treats ffl licensees with tax stamp holders. Two different things.

Tax stamp holders are not subject to batfe compliance inspection. That is reserved for ffl holders who have bound books. Even then they dont just show up. They call ahead setup a time to meet.

If you want proof its all listed on the batfe website or you can call the batfe or send an email with your question.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9132 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Unless you have state specific laws on suppressors, it is a FEDERAL matter. The county has nothing to do with it. Also your form that shows where you registered the suppressor is a tax document, which local law enforcement does NOT have a right to have.

(Most folks do not believe the above- check it out)

The BATFE has rights to do things with NFA firearms (and a suppressor IS legally a firearm)

(And Jon above me is right on- as usual. I gotta learn to type faster!)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #4

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to read.

you arent ready to live until your ready to die

Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

One other thing. Not many leo are aware that it is illegal under federal nfa rules for a police officer to take possession of a suspected nfa item. Only a batfe agent may seize such items. Law enforcement when confrinted with an illegal nfa item are supposed to secure the area call the batfe who send an agent who then seizes the device.

The batfe can authorize an officer to secure the item but they cant just take it. Even police are required to follow nfa rules. Police agencies can only posses and use items registered to that agency.

Now, someone can voluntarily transfer an nfa item to a police agency. Once a nfa item is transfered to police ownership it can never be transferred back to civilian hands. This is a dirty trick that agencies in commie states like illinois, california, newyork have used in the past.

Goes something like this... citizen inherits nfa item calls the police to ask what to do, liberal detective says transfer it to us for safekeeping. It gies on police form... ooops that citizen just lost a very expensive nfa item forever.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

seems like a good place to post this link. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html

great info about local leos and the ATF btw jon. Few people realize that the BATFE is more of a friend than the locals when it comes to nfa regulated firearms.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

00possum, JonM was spot on with all of his advice. Being you are in Texas, he is 100% correct.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
seems like a good place to post this link. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html

great info about local leos and the ATF btw jon. Few people realize that the BATFE is more of a friend than the locals when it comes to nfa regulated firearms.
This is true your more likely to get a fair shake by getting a batfe agent involved when confronted by a local or federal leo. I keep the number to my local batfe handy when im out using my nfa stuff i have it written on the back of the tax stamp copy.

When dealing with local leo on nfa be courteous and polite. While there is no legal reason to show them your tax stamp there is no practical reason not to. This is one time when giving a leo info can only help. He cant later say with any honesty he didnt know you had legal documents proving possession.

Ive been confronted once by an off duty leo, showed him my stamp offered to let him try my little supressed ruger out, he had a blast doing it. Also educated him on nfa rules. They get suprisingly little training regarding those items.

A lot of people are sfared to use them in public ranges. I have a blast doing it.

Last edited by JonM; 06-01-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2101 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 629

That is a good idea to keep the batfe number on the copy.
I have heard some rumors that the process might be streamlined. Right now it is 6 to 8 months.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2597 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

OOpossum,

From what I know about Tennessee Law when it comes to owning a suppressor it is perfectly legal with no problem! But the State Law advises that you must advise the Sheriff of the County that you have it, nothing more.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy