Silencer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Silencer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Silencer

So I've been looking around trying to find out how to get a silencer. I know you have to fill out a form throu the ATF but what form do you fill out ?and if I fill it out and I am cleared do I have to get one within a certain period of time before the clearance expires. Could someone elaborate for me and maybe put up a link to the form... Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooley6960
So I've been looking around trying to find out how to get a silencer. I know you have to fill out a form throu the ATF but what form do you fill out ?and if I fill it out and I am cleared do I have to get one within a certain period of time before the clearance expires. Could someone elaborate for me and maybe put up a link to the form... Thanks
I believe it's a class 3 license/stamp or you can get a trust and it also depends on where you live. Just google class 3 firearms license and you'll find what you need.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Okay I'm in Ohio sorry didn't put that in the post but they are legal here and I know you have to pay a $200 tax stamp for every one you buy but I read you have to fill out an ATF for or something do you know what form ?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooley6960
Okay I'm in Ohio sorry didn't put that in the post but they are legal here and I know you have to pay a $200 tax stamp for every one you buy but I read you have to fill out an ATF for or something do you know what form ?
I would check with your lgs that deals with em and they can help you. I know the nfa form 4 has something to do with it or you can contact the ATF and they can lead you in the right direction. Sorry I can't be more of a help

Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info

Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

You do not get a blanket permit. You have to buy the device and submit the paperwork with the serial number. The dealer you buy it from will hold the device, give you all the necessary paperwork and handle it for you. You will have to get permission from law enforcement, 2 passport type photos and fingerprints. Right now it is taking upwards of 8 months for the background check and approval.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #7

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Yeah, what they said. You find a class 3 dealer, pick your can and pay for it. If the dealer has to transfer the can in, wait a month. When it arrives, you and the dealer will fill out a form 4 and a residency verification form and send it in to the ATF with $200 tax money. The form 4 may be filled out as an individual (needs fingerprints and chief law officer signature) or using a trust (need copy of the trust documents, no fingerprints or sign off required). Then you wait. Things are speeding up but expect a minimum of 6 months. Mine took 7 months from being mailed out to arriving back at the dealer.
Make sure the suppressor works with whatever firearm you plan on putting it on. I got mine home to find out it was the wrong thread pitch but that was fixed quickly.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #8

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

if you find a reputable dealer that deals in class 3 firearms he will have the proper paperwork for you to fill out and you will get to meet your Chief LEO and try to smooze him into signing off on it " good luck with that one " . We cant even have one in IL period . Glad we finally got SBR in 11 but there still arent that many out there in IL that belongs to the public , Most of the SBRs here in IL are LEO/ dept owned

Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #9

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you get into class 3 stuff, a trust is worth getting. With a trust you bypass fingerprints, CLEO signature and photo. Plus you can add more people to your trust so they can use your stuff too. Technically if I had a suppressor registered to me as an individual and said, "hey have a shot," and handed it to you to take to the range, that's considered a constructive transfer by the ATF. A trust runs like 300 bucks. It's worth it.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #10

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You do not get a blanket permit. You have to buy the device and submit the paperwork with the serial number. The dealer you buy it from will hold the device, give you all the necessary paperwork and handle it for you. You will have to get permission from law enforcement, 2 passport type photos and fingerprints. Right now it is taking upwards of 8 months for the background check and approval.
Is it safe to say that a CFP does nothing to help speed that process up?