Sig ACP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Sig ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default Sig ACP

Why is the stocked version "LE only"?

SIG-Arms-ACP-Kit-to-turn-any-Railed-Pistol-into-a-Carbine

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

when you put a stock on it it turns into a nfa firearm. short barreled rifle. you would have to get the atf to approve that and i doubt they will since you would have to register the pistol frame itself as a sbr.

you could register a pistol as a sbr and possibly tie it to that particular stock and talk to sig about selling you one. lots of hoops to leap through.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #3

I dont see how the device itself is NFA restricted since its not a firearm. I could maybe see it being illegal to put on a pistol without proper paperwork, but still...

For example. Say I have a draco pistol. I can legally buy a regular AK stock no problem. The issue is whether or not I put it on the draco.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 02-01-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

It is called "constructive possession". You have a firearm + a part that will make it into an NFA item. Just because you don't actually have it installed at that time, you have both parts.

AR-15 rifle and a separate 14" barrel in the safe - go to jail
Draco pistol and a separate AK stock - go to jail
Remington 870 and a separate 12" barrel - go to jail

Eliminates the semantical arguement that you had no intention of breaking the law. You already broke it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #5

IDK, that seems like a bunch of hokey BS to me. By that logic, having a degree in network security and owning a computer would have you in prison for conspiracy to hack the pentagon. It just doesn't add up.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

You may not like it, but it is fact.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

It's actually very simple. You order the stock you want for your "project" gun (do you already own the pistol?) and have it shipped to a second address, like a relative or friend, to avoid any potential problems with the law. You complete BATF form 1 and the other necessary paperwork for your class III stamp, send in the $200 stamp tax fee and wait until the paperwork is returned which takes 4-6 months these days. When the stamp is in your possession, install the stock and you're ready to go. BTW, the thing that makes the pistol into an SBR is the addition of the butt stock. If you order the complete kit for the SIG, the only thing you CAN'T install W/O the stamp is the stock. You may want to consider ordering the basic or advanced kit (w/o the stock) and you wont need the ATF stamp. BTW, this was taken directly from the page in the OP link listed above:ACP-LE - This National Firearms Act-regulated military/law enforcement only model features the really neat top- folding shoulder stock. It is this stock that makes the platform a NFA Class III item and any civilian purchasers have to follow all the same requirements for registering a short-barreled rifle or SBR with the BATFE.. Your biggest problem may simply getting one of the LE models or the rear stock by itself. I ran into a similar problem with a gun I wanted to get a few years ago.

FWIW, I got my Class III stamp back in December for a SBR project I was working on so I've been through the process myself. I was originally interested in a Kel-Tec SU-16D, which is restricted since it's classified as a SBR. However, I couldn't get one from K-T directly and the local dealers wouldn't touch it since I'm not in law enforcement or security and that's who the gun is marketed to. Finally, after checking around and doing some research I took my Kel-Tec PLR-16 I've owned for about 5 years - it's been my avatar here since '07 - and ordered from K-T a folding stock from a Kel-Tec SU-16C rifle. You can see the evolution of the gun - from left to right - in the three photo's here. Essentially, in a round about way I made my own SU-16D, which is what's actually shown in the final picture. What worked out well for me was that everything I added to my original pistol is factory designed, built and sold direct from K-T so there was no fitting or modification required. Even better was that even with buying all the parts separately, I actually saved about $200 over the cost of a new 16D which covered the cost of the stamp! Also, I can now use the folding stock, the original pistol grip, a vertical grip for the front or any combination of them at will because my gun is now a rifle. You know, I just may add a suppressor as icing on the cake for my little project gun some time in the future, but that is something for another day... and when I don't need the tax return for something else.

plr1.jpg   plr2.jpg   plr3b.jpg  

Last edited by rachilders; 02-04-2012 at 09:28 AM.