Side by side .410 shotgun w/ 7.125" barrel legal?!?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Side by side .410 shotgun w/ 7.125" barrel legal?!?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Side by side .410 shotgun w/ 7.125" barrel legal?!?

Hi, this is my first post on the site and I think I am posting in the right section for the question, anyways, I would like to (in theory) make a double barreled shotgun in .410 but I want it to have a barrel shorter than 18". If I use rifled pistol barrels (.45) but just arrange them side by side, would this legally be a pistol even if I shoot shotshells out of it? I was thinking about using 7.125" octagonal barrels chambered in .45 and then having the whole thing being around 1' long. I know it wouldn't be at all practical, but it would be really neat and really cool to show off. I think this might be legal because Taurus can get away with it with the Taurus Judge, but what about making something like this in the basement?

Thanks~
Hunter S.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8863 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

First, welcome to the forum. Stop over by the intro thread and say hello.

Now as far as legalities- not a lawyer. We had a couple, but some of the questions here left them curled up in a fetal position and rather catatonic. Their recovery is possible, but only if we keep the questions short for a while.

First, Federal law does not prohibit you from building a gun for yourself (can't build them to sell without licenses). The gun you build cannot be a gun covered under the 1934 NFA unless you get permits first (Short barreled shotgun, etc). There MAY be state laws you need to follow as well.

Now,having said all that, a pistol that can fire .410 ammo through a RIFLED barrel is not a shotgun, and is no contrary to Federal law. It is .50 cal or less (larger triggers Destructive Device category) and it is rifled.

You CANNOT use the frame of a rifle or shotgun to start your build- that would be "Making a short barreled rifle" . BTW, already been done- look up Leinad or Cobray. http://www.thegunnetwork.com/classifieds/386/Leinad_Cobray_OU_Double_/

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #3

Hey, thanks! I am considering building one because I have an old .22 rifle (rem model 33) which although is a bolt gun, has a very simple firing device that I think I could copy on a grinder with a few changes to better suit my purpose. The barrel I was thinking about was this one I found online-
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=585180&catid=6748
It should be safe because it is an actual gun barrel and not some piece of pipe that some one polished up.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

If you truly built a frame/receiver/firing mechanism you woud "probably" be OK. If you simply cloned the receiver and made a second one to go along side the original receiver, you are still using the original receiver and would in all likelyhood be manufacturing a short barreled rifle/shotgun. You would still be crosswise with the NFA and should expect to serve some time in the custody of the US Bureau of Prisons.

As in all such endeavors you would be wise to get a ruling IN WRITING from ATF before undertaking such a project AND consult with an attorney well versed in Federal gun laws. The last time I checked there were darn few licensed attorneys on this site.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Closed Thread