Shotgun into a SBS
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Shotgun into a SBS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shotgun into a SBS

I was wondering when a person buys a Remington 870 receiver (ie off of GB) that the receiver was built and sold by Remington as a shotgun vs a receiver only? The guy says its a new receiver that not from a disassembled gun. How can one take that receiver and build it into a 7" SBS with a $5.00 tax stamp for "other" vs a $200.00 tax stamp for the SBS"? Last year I bought several Remington 700 receivers without barrels and hardware for some custom builds, so I know that Remington does sell those without being completely built guns.
( I spoke with Remington at the SHOT show and the dimwit there told me that NO they never sell receivers only.) So I am aware that there are exceptions to what people think. I know Serbu and Safety Harbour sell theirs with a $5.00 transfer. I was told by the ATF that if it was built as a long gun its always a long gun vs the $200 tax transfer on those types of builds. Wanting to save $195...

Thanks, Jon

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I would get a letter from Remington that states the serial numbered receiver was never built (by them) into a complete firearm and was, in fact, sold as a bare receiver. With that documentation, you should be able to save the $195.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball