Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Shop Staff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shop Staff

I have applied for my FFL and I'm waiting to hear back on that. I was going to base out of my basement (separate enterance, bathroom, etc no access to house), but a small store has come to my attention locally. I'm going to check it out the first of the week. If I take on this small store I may need additional help in the form of an actual employee, or a little volunteer family help (brother, father). What rules/laws/guidelines apply to working the counter or making sales when I'm there and when I'm not? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Where are you located?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Asheville, NC

Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Well I was trying to find the info on the atf site. No luck. If I'm not mistaken they are required to pass a nics check. I think that's about it. Hopefully one of the more seasoned guys on here can give you more info.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

i would strongly suggest if your hiring a non-family employee to run your own background check. things like drunk driving that never saw a conviction fighting minor issues with the law wont show up on a nics.

if someone steals something and pleads it down to a lesser ofense and that offense doesnt rise to a felony they will be squeeky clean on nics.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #6

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyGunworks
I have applied for my FFL and I'm waiting to hear back on that. I was going to base out of my basement (separate enterance, bathroom, etc no access to house), but a small store has come to my attention locally. I'm going to check it out the first of the week. If I take on this small store I may need additional help in the form of an actual employee, or a little volunteer family help (brother, father). What rules/laws/guidelines apply to working the counter or making sales when I'm there and when I'm not? Thanks!
Even with family you need to set some rules up. I used to manage a Gunshop when I going to gunsmithing school. It was owned by a man whose father and brother "helped out". The problem was the father and brother felt they were allowed to do things that either weren't legal or upset the owner. The father would come in and take any used gun off the shelf to take o the range or give them to his friends to take. The brother would give his friends deals that would destroy our profits. As the manager I would try to intervene but that's sticky in a family situation. I always felt if there had been actual written down rules for ALL people working there, family or not it would have greatly improved things. In the end there was a big fight, I quit, the owner and the brother didn't talk for over a year and the dad had his feelings hurt. As far as back ground checks the same is true check everybody, you might be shocked.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 08-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good to know about NICS vs full BG check. I'll definitely set shop rules, anyone who knows me knows that I'm a stickler for having things done a certain way (my way).

Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Your FFL as applied for will be useless if you change locations. The sooner you decide the better so you can change the business address.