Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Shop Staff (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/shop-staff-70653/)

LibertyGunworks 08-19-2012 01:40 AM

Shop Staff

I have applied for my FFL and I'm waiting to hear back on that. I was going to base out of my basement (separate enterance, bathroom, etc no access to house), but a small store has come to my attention locally. I'm going to check it out the first of the week. If I take on this small store I may need additional help in the form of an actual employee, or a little volunteer family help (brother, father). What rules/laws/guidelines apply to working the counter or making sales when I'm there and when I'm not? Thanks!

mountainman13 08-19-2012 01:48 AM

Where are you located?

LibertyGunworks 08-19-2012 01:54 AM

Asheville, NC

mountainman13 08-19-2012 02:17 AM

Well I was trying to find the info on the atf site. No luck. If I'm not mistaken they are required to pass a nics check. I think that's about it. Hopefully one of the more seasoned guys on here can give you more info.

JonM 08-19-2012 05:57 PM

i would strongly suggest if your hiring a non-family employee to run your own background check. things like drunk driving that never saw a conviction fighting minor issues with the law wont show up on a nics.

if someone steals something and pleads it down to a lesser ofense and that offense doesnt rise to a felony they will be squeeky clean on nics.

bearrwe 08-19-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyGunworks
I have applied for my FFL and I'm waiting to hear back on that. I was going to base out of my basement (separate enterance, bathroom, etc no access to house), but a small store has come to my attention locally. I'm going to check it out the first of the week. If I take on this small store I may need additional help in the form of an actual employee, or a little volunteer family help (brother, father). What rules/laws/guidelines apply to working the counter or making sales when I'm there and when I'm not? Thanks!

Even with family you need to set some rules up. I used to manage a Gunshop when I going to gunsmithing school. It was owned by a man whose father and brother "helped out". The problem was the father and brother felt they were allowed to do things that either weren't legal or upset the owner. The father would come in and take any used gun off the shelf to take o the range or give them to his friends to take. The brother would give his friends deals that would destroy our profits. As the manager I would try to intervene but that's sticky in a family situation. I always felt if there had been actual written down rules for ALL people working there, family or not it would have greatly improved things. In the end there was a big fight, I quit, the owner and the brother didn't talk for over a year and the dad had his feelings hurt. As far as back ground checks the same is true check everybody, you might be shocked.

LibertyGunworks 08-20-2012 01:48 AM

Good to know about NICS vs full BG check. I'll definitely set shop rules, anyone who knows me knows that I'm a stickler for having things done a certain way (my way).

FFL01user 08-20-2012 04:18 PM

Your FFL as applied for will be useless if you change locations. The sooner you decide the better so you can change the business address.