Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Shipping A Handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/shipping-handgun-34981/)

beckstactical 11-30-2010 12:12 AM

Shipping A Handgun

Now fellows let me ask y'all something, Is it just me or are these distributors not disclosing to UPS or Fedex that they are shipping a firearm? Here's why I ask. I received a handgun from Distributor "A" via UPS second day. Then I tried to send a handgun to a FFL UPS second day and UPS threw a wall-eyed fit. UPS store say's no pick-ups and has to be dropped off at the main distribution hub. Main hub says Overnight Only, so a $27 shipment went to $66 and had it been found out otherwise it would have been seized. Next distributor "B" sends me a firearm via Fedex Second day COD. Now Fedex policy says NO COD on Firearms. So y'all tell me what is going on. Am I looking at this wrong or is this a I'm going to get a couple of pms hush, hush situation.

willfully armed 11-30-2010 02:59 AM

ffl dealers follow a seperate list of rules. Since they have established shippers accounts, they can do the two day and COD.

Save yourself some coin next time, ship Fedex express two day. Its how Ive always shipped warranty items.

docpadds 11-30-2010 04:28 AM

You have to have an account with UPS to get the blue two-day setup, that requires a certain level of shipment use.

Stores will not handle it as they do not wish to store it until pickup, the stores are franchises and not technically UPS employees (Part of the shipping process is handing direct to an employee). When we ship Fedex later in the day we have to take it to depot but cannot leave it with guards at gate like most packages, same scenario.

Not sure on the COD, we do it regularly with UPS, never tried with Fedex.

camiller 11-30-2010 03:02 PM

Same sort of discrepancy shipping alcohol. If you are a home brewer and want to send a few bottles to enter into a competition you are at the very least violating the shipping companies rules (or the law if USPS), but if you are the wine of the month club your sending out packages every day.

remington7mm 11-30-2010 09:33 PM

i personaly would just have it ready to before dropping it off at the shipping destination. when they ask whats in the box tell them that its a car part or something. they cant open it for no reason or they get fired, i know this because i work at ups.

docpadds 11-30-2010 09:34 PM

Thats fine as long as it isn't lost or damaged because if you need to make a claim and you haven't followed their rules..... not a chance.

Troy Michalik 12-01-2010 02:21 PM

If you are a dealer, you can also ship USPS using form ps1508
http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf.
For handguns, shipping in flat rate boxes is cheap, and you don't even have to go to the post office.

doggone06 12-02-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Michalik (Post 395163)
If you are a dealer, you can also ship USPS using form ps1508
http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf.
For handguns, shipping in flat rate boxes is cheap, and you don't even have to go to the post office.

You need to go to the PO with the package and form 1508, as the Post Master needs to sign and stamp it.

If you ship to the same address that is on a previously submitted 1508 form you can print a label and give it to the carrier.

gatopardo 12-02-2010 03:38 AM

Read their rules

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckstactical (Post 394278)
Now fellows let me ask y'all something, Is it just me or are these distributors not disclosing to UPS or Fedex that they are shipping a firearm? Here's why I ask. I received a handgun from Distributor "A" via UPS second day. Then I tried to send a handgun to a FFL UPS second day and UPS threw a wall-eyed fit. UPS store say's no pick-ups and has to be dropped off at the main distribution hub. Main hub says Overnight Only, so a $27 shipment went to $66 and had it been found out otherwise it would have been seized. Next distributor "B" sends me a firearm via Fedex Second day COD. Now Fedex policy says NO COD on Firearms. So y'all tell me what is going on. Am I looking at this wrong or is this a I'm going to get a couple of pms hush, hush situation.

I've had a number of problems with UPS and Fedex, Me and my wife were practically thrown out of a fedex kinko location by an upset clerk screaming something about ".. never, never.. guns or gun parts.... neeeever will...!" and of course he never will as he was fired.

Of course we learned their rules beforehand, they apologized and they treat us right after that. And yes they will pick up my guns, and yes they do it with a smile, none should take less.
However, discretion is important, they need the address to of a a manufacturer or dealer with ffl number, also it has to be addressed like this:

Front desk
123 45 street Suite 1223
That city, St 12345
USA

No mention of gun anywhere, their delivery guys will never know.
If you arrange for them to pick your weapon, you'll still have to disclose it is a gun on the phone and you should pay insurance, the delivery guy should never know what it is.

If this don't work for you, raise hell like I did, it's in their rules, as clear as day. After all THIS IS AMERICA!

Gato

gatopardo 12-02-2010 03:46 AM

That's going to be funny

Quote:

Originally Posted by remington7mm (Post 394750)
i personaly would just have it ready to before dropping it off at the shipping destination. when they ask whats in the box tell them that its a car part or something. they cant open it for no reason or they get fired, i know this because i work at ups.

That is going to be funny when the package opens by accident and a gun comes out of it, :eek::eek::eek::eek who is the one in trouble now?

Boxes get shipped square and they come back round:D