Shipping for Gunsmithing/Refinishing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Shipping for Gunsmithing/Refinishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shipping for Gunsmithing/Refinishing

I read on a custom gunwork website that you can ship directly to them because they are an FFL. Since no gun is being purchased, does that mean an individual can take it to the post office and ship it? Or does it still have to be done through an FFL on that individual's end as well?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

This link contains about any question you could think of when it comes to shipping:

GunBroker.com - Help Center

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:20 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
This link contains about any question you could think of when it comes to shipping:

GunBroker.com - Help Center
It does indeed. Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #4

You can ship long guns from the USPS. No handguns except for dealers. They can send it back to you through the USPS. Without a license that leaves you with FED EX and UPS for handguns.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shipping Guns bu USPS

As previously mentioned by Straight_Shooter, only FFL's can use USPS to ship handguns.

FFL's shipping by USPS can save money over FedEx or UPS but you must declare each package on PS Form 1508 and take the packages to the post office yourself. Most postal clerks are not aware of this regulation and may try to refuse the package.

I recommend that you first speak to USPS Regulations Division and either get a letter from them or get a direct phone number that the clerk can call. It is also advisable that you present a valid picture ID and a copy of your FFL License. Do not leave your FFL license with the postal clerk.

The reason you cannot have a mail carrier pick up is because Form 1508 must be postmarked and filed at the post office branch you are sending from. The PO is required to keep the form on file for a period of one year.

I also recommend you pre-pay & print shipping labels. That alone can save up to 15%. It also allows for the package to be insured and provides an on-line tracking number.

It is normally less expensive to ship USPS Priority mail (2-3 days anywhere in the continental US) than flat rate. Cost is based on dimensional weight formula and destination zip code. Call and request Priority Regional 2 boxes. There are several sizes. The # 2 boxes are tall enough to ship a gun in a large size plastic case. You can also get envelopes and priority stickers if you want to use your own boxes. Boxes, mailers and stickers are free but must be ordered in advance and shipped to your store.

Do not carry any concealed or open firearm into the post office when delivering a package (handguns, long guns or anything else).

Packages containing a handgun(s) should not be loaded and should have the magazine removed. No further disassembly is required. Each hand gun should ship with a cable lock in accordance with BATFE regulations.

Do not mark the outside of the box with any indication of its contents

Ammunition cannot be shipped by USPS.

Do not allow the postal clerk to open the package (in your presence) for inspection. This would technically be the same as carrying an open gun into the post office.

If you are shipping long guns, They must be unloaded with the magazine (if any) removed. The firearm does not need to be broken down any further than this for shipping. Bolts are not required to be removed from rifles.

You will need a USPS commercial account before you can use these methods.

C&R licensees cannot ship hand guns via USPS since they are not an FFL dealer or manufacture.

Last edited by sigp250; 10-04-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #6

That was a good complete post on the USPS.

My USPS office was a little funny the first few I brought in but after the first few they began to recognize me no troubles at all. Since then no trouble carrying firearms say like a Glock or Ruger P95 in it's factory plastic clam case right in and boxing them up on site when I was out of priority mail boxes. I don't think I would try that in a larger city though. USPS is a deal until you add the insurance. Then Fed Ex Express is a bit better on price. I would avoid any form of ground shipping. When they get 4-5 days of transferring your stuff from truck to truck it has a lot more opportunity to get broken. My son used to work for one of them and witnessed "this side up" and "Fragile" marked boxes were routinely singled out for extra rough treatment. Like always upside down, on the bottom of the pile, drop kicked the length of the trailers. Even though Fed Ex employees usually don't get paid as well they take very good care of your freight.

I'd say the best part of dealing firearms is being eternally buried in cardboard and packing peanuts in your receiving area.