Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Sheriff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sheriff

Someone was telling me in order to get your Class 3 license you have to get approval by your local Sheriff. Is that true or does it vary per State?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkeith View Post
Someone was telling me in order to get your Class 3 license you have to get approval by your local Sheriff. Is that true or does it vary per State?
Are you talking about a license to buy / make / sell as in a busness? or are you talking about owning a class 3 item for yourself?

If you just want to own them, there is no license. there are forms you must fill out and get batfe approval ($200 tax). You do need your local cleo to sign the forms as well as get fingerprinted and passport size photo's.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:36 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That seems like a lot of work for law abiding citizens to go through.

If they can put such hoops like that in owning a full auto what about them doing it so semi-auto guns.

Anyone know when this starting happening. The 80's?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
That seems like a lot of work for law abiding citizens to go through.

If they can put such hoops like that in owning a full auto what about them doing it so semi-auto guns.

the machine gun ban started in 1986. I forget the exact month but i was too young then for it to matter. I wasn't 21 yet.

actually, once you do a few it ain't so bad especially if you go LLC or trust. But that is a whole nother thread.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #5

I'm pretty sure it varies state by state.

_./

Old 06-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #6

Quote:
the machine gun ban started in 1986. I forget the exact month but i was too young then for it to matter.

May 19, 1986 a sad day in history

Old 06-16-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
LEO

May 1986 the ban was started. Civilians could no longer buy machine guns registered after that date. They could only buy pre-ban machine guns and now they are very expensive.

If you form a corporation you can skip the CLEO signature requirement.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:51 AM   #8

Can someone explain why it is easier to own a class 3 if you go through a LLC or Trust.

Rick

Old 07-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #9

If you use a LLC or Trust you dont need the CLEO signoff therefore you are and agent of the trust or llc and may use the NFA item because it is owned by either. It is a neat loophole that will be closed sooner than later. But upon dissloving the corp or trust you must transfer it in your name or sell it therefore puting yourself back at square one. I do alot of transfers through the trust for people, that seems to be something you will have forever and is not as obvious as putting it in a business (LLC)

Later Joe

Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Actually it started in 1934 with the passing of the NFA act. That is when machineguns, silencers, SBRs, AOWs, and destructive devices started being treated differently than other classes of weapons. The 1986 FOPA act only prohibited new machineguns from being registered......thus making all new MGs non-transferable.