Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Sheriff (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/sheriff-594/)

coolkeith 05-24-2007 04:47 PM

Sheriff

Someone was telling me in order to get your Class 3 license you have to get approval by your local Sheriff. Is that true or does it vary per State?

guns4fun 05-26-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolkeith (Post 1924)
Someone was telling me in order to get your Class 3 license you have to get approval by your local Sheriff. Is that true or does it vary per State?

Are you talking about a license to buy / make / sell as in a busness? or are you talking about owning a class 3 item for yourself?

If you just want to own them, there is no license. there are forms you must fill out and get batfe approval ($200 tax). You do need your local cleo to sign the forms as well as get fingerprinted and passport size photo's.

Dude 05-31-2007 09:36 PM

That seems like a lot of work for law abiding citizens to go through.

If they can put such hoops like that in owning a full auto what about them doing it so semi-auto guns.

Anyone know when this starting happening. The 80's?

guns4fun 06-01-2007 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude (Post 2396)
That seems like a lot of work for law abiding citizens to go through.

If they can put such hoops like that in owning a full auto what about them doing it so semi-auto guns.

the machine gun ban started in 1986. I forget the exact month but i was too young then for it to matter. I wasn't 21 yet.

actually, once you do a few it ain't so bad especially if you go LLC or trust. But that is a whole nother thread.

Sambo 06-01-2007 02:09 PM

I'm pretty sure it varies state by state.

fullauto 45 06-05-2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

the machine gun ban started in 1986. I forget the exact month but i was too young then for it to matter.

:mad: May 19, 1986 a sad day in history

LEO 06-16-2007 02:38 AM

May 1986 the ban was started. Civilians could no longer buy machine guns registered after that date. They could only buy pre-ban machine guns and now they are very expensive.

If you form a corporation you can skip the CLEO signature requirement.

qm2rick 07-03-2007 05:51 AM

Can someone explain why it is easier to own a class 3 if you go through a LLC or Trust.

Rick

Subgun Ordnance 07-03-2007 07:32 PM

If you use a LLC or Trust you dont need the CLEO signoff therefore you are and agent of the trust or llc and may use the NFA item because it is owned by either. It is a neat loophole that will be closed sooner than later. But upon dissloving the corp or trust you must transfer it in your name or sell it therefore puting yourself back at square one. I do alot of transfers through the trust for people, that seems to be something you will have forever and is not as obvious as putting it in a business (LLC)

Later Joe

BrassMonkey 07-03-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Actually it started in 1934 with the passing of the NFA act. That is when machineguns, silencers, SBRs, AOWs, and destructive devices started being treated differently than other classes of weapons. The 1986 FOPA act only prohibited new machineguns from being registered......thus making all new MGs non-transferable.